Hooked two.....landed none....

Rooster

Hooked two.....landed none....

Post by Rooster »

I hooked two monster reds Sunday. One ate not 4 feet in front of me, my entire leader wasnt even out of the tip of my rod ( was wading, ready to cast when I seen a ripple, and then a tail right in front of me completely oblivious I was even there :shock: , I sloooowly put the green dread in front of the fish and it immediately ate!!!! I set the hook but couldnt get it in its mouth good, because the the fish was so freaking close to me, lol! I faught it for a split second off it came, but that was fine with me, watchigng that red eat my fly not 4 feet in front of my face was one of the coolest things I ever seen!!!!! After many bad inaccurate casts at many tails (I reall need to practice more, My skills aren't even skills anymore, my casts were aweful! :oops: )..... I finally got lucky and had another well placed cast, it bit, what a monster it was, I faught it for a while but I put too much pressure on it, and the 1/0 gamagatsu didnt make it, it straightened, my fault anyway, I was using a beast of a leader for on the flats, because I went unuccessfully dock fishing for snook in the docks on my last trip, and well, never changed my leader and tippet. my lazyness cost me a fish, and a dread....Oh well, it was a great day indeed, I'm getting closer and closer to my goal, and now that my "hell week" at work is over, I'll have plenty of time to get out there and try again! :D
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

keep at it. I will be out there soon trying to get my first red on fly.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

fishmaster892 wrote:keep at it. I will be out there soon trying to get my first red on fly.
I'll be at Bay Pines Tomorrow AM trying again. :D If its possible, feel free to come and tag along.
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Hooked two.....landed none....

Post by BearsFan »

Rooster wrote:One ate not 4 feet in front of me................and the 1/0 gamagatsu didnt make it, it straightened
I love your fishing stories.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Rooster wrote:
fishmaster892 wrote:keep at it. I will be out there soon trying to get my first red on fly.
I'll be at Bay Pines Tomorrow AM trying again. :D If its possible, feel free to come and tag along.
i wish i could get out of school and go
Rooster

Re: Hooked two.....landed none....

Post by Rooster »

BearsFan wrote:
Rooster wrote:One ate not 4 feet in front of me................and the 1/0 gamagatsu didnt make it, it straightened
I love your fishing stories.
They make you jealous dont they :D
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

never seen a gama straighten before...I have had them snap...are they SC 15? seems impossible with the way they are shaped...keep at it Rooster...get that pig
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:never seen a gama straighten before...
I tried yesterday with 80lb leader and the drag all the way down on my Tibor and couldn't bend the thing. Rooster must have gotten a bad batch.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

bonefishwhisperer wrote:never seen a gama straighten before...I have had them snap...are they SC 15? seems impossible with the way they are shaped...keep at it Rooster...get that pig
It may have been one from my first batch I tied with some mustads, I'll have to dig it out of the stinkpot when we get it back out, (we store it at a facility). If I remember correctly I left it in the cup holder.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

I honestly haven't seen anyone have this much trouble catching a red on fly..I'm terrible at fly fishing but still manage to catch at least one every two trips. Maybe have someone experienced like Noles go with you one time and watch how they get it done..You may be able to gain some knowledge of what you're doing wrong in the process. Just seems to me you're beating yourself up trying to get a red when it's not that complicated. No hard feelings though :wink:
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I cant say myself...I have never tried the reds up yalls way but I can tell you one thing for sure...it took me a solid yr to score a Biscayne Bay Redfish and even now I put them several notches ABOVE bonefish in the "tough to catch"catagory...what it takes go against everything I used to do in N.C. to get them...how big are these reds anyway?
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Ya I've heard that about biscayne bay redfish..some people can't even get them on live bait there. I'm 150 miles or so south of Rooster so I can't comment first hand on the redfishery up that way but that's beside the point anyways. He's been having the reds eat the fly just can't connect with the hookset or pulling/straightening the hook..that stuff can easily be fixed, especially if you watch someone that's done it before..that's all I'm saying.

Oh ya and I may order some more electric dreads in a few weeks, my supply is running low!
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

My main problem is I get too excited and s soon as I hook one, I lose conentration or get over anxious.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Rooster wrote:My main problem is I get too excited and s soon as I hook one, I lose conentration or get over anxious.
Thats what she said.

Rooster

Post by Rooster »

BearsFan wrote:
Rooster wrote:My main problem is I get too excited and s soon as I hook one, I lose conentration or get over anxious.
Thats what she said.
:lol: Not the first comment I made today that someone replied that to....now I get sleep, damn tests in the AM....thats right....check the WOT 8)
noles

Post by noles »

DouGR81 wrote:I honestly haven't seen anyone have this much trouble catching a red on fly..I'm terrible at fly fishing but still manage to catch at least one every two trips. Maybe have someone experienced like Noles go with you one time and watch how they get it done..You may be able to gain some knowledge of what you're doing wrong in the process. Just seems to me you're beating yourself up trying to get a red when it's not that complicated. No hard feelings though :wink:
I don't think he needs any help from me because I'm terrible at telling fish stories. :wink: :lol:
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"