Setting the hook on reds....

Rooster

Setting the hook on reds....

Post by Rooster »

well, hooked 6 large reds this AM on the EP floating mullet....every single freaking one of them came un-buttoned whats the deal? Is there a secret to keeping them hooked, should I try to hand strike it, or just keep trying to set the hook with the rod? Report an pics coming soon.

I checked the hooks, they are sharp.....
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

strip strike!
- Jon
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Vercetti wrote:strip strike!
What he said!! :D
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

What they said................Your learning son..............
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

thanks, I'll be out there after I eat, and again tomorrow AM for that low tide....I found the reds :D I've found that being on the water so much you learn to keep up with what the fish are doing and where they are going, but once my regular work schedule kicks in, its tough to go out there and find them and keep up with them when only getting out two or three times a month. .
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I agree with everyone else. You can't usually get enough power out of a fly rod to set the hook with just the rod. One question. Are you using J hooks or circle hooks on your EP's?
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I'm using j-hooks on them
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I would say its the fly...as a general rule topwater gets many misses over hookups...to add to that you are throwing to redfish which are really bottom feeders and their mouths are not made for topwater action...sure it can be done, even on bonefish, but you are asking for problems...also let me say that I do both strip stike and raise the rod to really dig it home...I strip to make the contact but pop it good with the rod as well as it speeds away
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
bw510

Post by bw510 »

if you wamt to fish on top try a gurgler, there a little slimmer than the ep mullet and cast a heck of a lot better.ohh and they make a little noise