Product review - Bee Ready rod holders

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Rik

Product review - Bee Ready rod holders

Post by Rik »

After seeing one on pbr's canoe, I got in touch with the company and ordered one. I wanted a rod holder that was less obtrusive in the cockpit and easier to use.

Not really sure where to mount it, I did a temporary mount of it yesterday so I would be able to try it this morning.

First off, when I opened the package, I was impressed with how well the pieces are made. Simple things like the bolts being just long enough to get through the nylon part of the lock nut without too much sticking out, mounting pieces that fit like a glove and just the general 'prettiness' of the product.

The round top part that hold the rod is adjustable to determine how high or low the rod tip is. It also swivels with enough tension to keep it in place.

The action to get the rod out of the holder is much more natural compared to the others we all use. You grab the rod, tilt it up and then lift it a few inches to clear the yellow rubber wrapped rod butt loop. You do not have to push the rod forward in order to get it out. I was able to mount it closer to me which made for not having to bend forward to get the rod.

If you need to remove it, the riser bar slides out of the mounting base. There is a locking screw but I left it off as the fit of the riser into the base is very good. I will probably also cut about an inch off the riser to lower the rod holder.

A quick 3 hour trip convinced me that these are the way to go for a rod holder in the cockpit. I'm not convinced that I'd use them to hold rods behind me. Maybe I'm being too cautious but the rod comes out of the holder very easy so I'd be afraid it would slip out without my knowing it. I expect that after some use, I'll get more comfortable and trusting. When that happens, I'll replace my regular rod holders with these.

That the Boga Grip will hold on to the riser is an added benefit. I've never been able to find a place in the cockpit for the Boga where it didn't slide around.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Looks great Rik.......I like the simple motion to retrieve the rod.....How much$$$$and where??????
Rik

Post by Rik »

Oops, forgot that part, Joe

http://www.beeready2fish.com/

The adjustable rod holder on the mounting plate is $18

The base and riser are $15

Last edited by Rik on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Thanks Rik.........
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

very clean looking.
0 0 1
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Are the parts stainless steel?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Stainless and plastic, except for the riser bar which is aluminum.
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Bee

Post by r3krobert »

Rik,

Thanks for the great photos and clear explanations.

Bob
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Where's your priorties Rik? You put it in your beer holder! :shock:

Looks mighty 'fessional! That said, we'll be expecting more prolific reports from you now.

:idea: hmmm, I bet that can also be rigged for a camera. :idea:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Redfishn'Ale

Post by Redfishn'Ale »

that looks very sharp, definately going to order some if i end up getting a fiberglass SOT this year, keep the look clean and simple, great review
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Dang, another gadget that I need to get.

Thanks for the review and pictures!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Nice Rik.
This post brings back a thought I had a few weeks ago. I was thinking about getting a new paddle and thought about how nice a "gear review" section would be.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Fly rod model?
XCB
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Bee

Post by r3krobert »

To me the rigging section is a great reference, but unless I'm specifically looking for rigging ideas, it's not a section I check regularly. Rik's posting in this section called my attention to something I didn't know existed and am interested in. I'm glad he posted it where he did otherwise I might not have seen it for a long time. On the other hand, after doing so, maybe now it should be moved to Rigging.

Bob
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Rik wrote:btw, what did you think of the rod holder?
I didn't respond to the original post as I believed it to be in the wrong forum. However, since you asked...the device seems to be constructed of quality materials, those of which may be better suited for more technologically advanced products. It appears functionally adequate and effective for its marketed intended use. While I do not condone the use of forward facing rod holders, for those in need this product may be an appropriate alternative to other rod holders currently available.
- Jon
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Rik wrote:
Vercetti wrote: While I do not condone the use of forward facing rod holders
You like your cockpit rod holders to face backwards?
I don't use them they get in the way when casting while tight to the mangroves or docks when using a side arm cast, also when fighting fish and are especially irritating when casting a fly rod.
- Jon