vise idea

fishmaster892

vise idea

Post by fishmaster892 »

well i recently got interested in tying flys. So i was talking to my dad and after school today he brought home a spare vise for electrical work. I was wondering if you guys think it would work as a vise until i can buy a nice quality one. It can be moved all around and everything can be talking of of it.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

All you really need is a thumb and index finger.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

You will find those alligator clips will not hold the hooks steady enough for most tying purposes. Don't frustrate yourself. On the other hand, the magnifier part of that will come in handy for tying smaller flies if you get into freshwater dry flies, like a size 18 or 20 Pale Morning Dun :D . If you don't want to spend a lot of money there are some decent non rotary vices available for between $25 and $35. At least you can get a good idea if you are really interested before spending more. Then if you do want to move up you'll have a backup vice. All a vice has to do is hold the hook, and yes there are those who just hold the hook by hand.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Here's another idea if you want to go really cheap. It works but it can't hold a big variety of hooks, just the smaller ones. Guess you could file the jaws out to get bigger hooks in it.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Rik

Post by Rik »

vise grips
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley