Gators, fish, new rigging

Flamingo to Big Bend
pbr

Gators, fish, new rigging

Post by pbr »

Well I thought I would try out some of my new rigging features at CRB today.

Added a Stinger anchor system, rowing setup, and new rod holders.

The Stinger is awesome and works as advertised, this one is good to 5ft of water depth, the universal mount worked will with the canoe, couldnt thrubolt but had enough room for screws. Used some wood wedges to get it level. The company warns not to lower when moving at speed, but I bounced it around pretty good and everything worked quite well, soon as it hit the bottom it stopped the boat on a dime. Pull the line to raise it and your off. Ten times better than an anchor or pole.

I decided to try rowing, it seemed logical that this might be a lot faster and easier way to get where your going. Problem with small canoe like mine is they are narrow, so made an A frame to spread the oarlocks apart beyond the width of the boat. Bought some aluminum Carlise oars with their clamp on plastic oar locks. Decided to go with six footers, which seems about right. Ended up spreading the oarlocks bit further than what you see in the pics after test paddling, you have to get the fore and aft position right as well. The aluminum oars are heavy so if I decide this is the way to go, I will probably look for some carbon fiber ones. Sitting in the Native seat it was very comfy, to go fast I would row with my back to course of direction in the traditional rowing way, but when approaching fish I would row facing the course of direction. Though not as fast, it is fine for approaching and the oars are great for positioning. There is more noise, but I got better with practice.

The oars can be stored by just flipping them up on the thwart, they get in the way a little bit when handling fish but not to bad. You can also leave them in the water and they will just swing fwd along the hull.

The other new thing I added was the Bee Ready rod holder. These are very low profile can be mounted almost any where and will hold when a fish strikes. They are very well made and not expensive. I installed one facing fwd and one facing aft.

Now for the excitement. As I was rowing out I noticed what looked like a moving oyster bed on the flats, as I watched it, I couldnt believe it, but it was a gator? I slowly paddled toward it but this gator was very wary, it would submerg as soon as I got within two hundred yards, swim away underwater and surface again, going as slow and quiet as I could it never lost sight of me and kept the distance with several approaches. Downwind I could smell this thing, it was really rough looking, I knew no one would believe it so here are the pics.

I wasted a bit of time chasing the gator so I was anxious to get fishing, saw lots of movement along the groves, started throwing the Culvita topwater, had a large snook chase it right up to the boat where its dorsal came out of the water ten feet from the boat, did a few more casts and saw a push in the water chasing it, slowed down and BAM this nice little red gave quite a fight

Later saw something really hitting the bait near the groves, threw the Culvita in there and ended up with two jacks on the lure, got them up to the boat and one shook off the lure, boated the other though.

Rowed around some more, the trout were noticably absent. In the end I covered a lot more ground with a lot less fatigue with the rowing setup, but it is more stuff to deal with, so I am going to try it a couple more times before I make the final decision vs. kayak paddle.
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

Hands down the baddest fishing canoe ive seen, the stinger is nice :)
click clack BOOM
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

Nice job! You are like the McGuyver of paddle fishing. :lol:
pbr

Post by pbr »

Thanks, the other thing I found was it was much dryer with the oars, no paddle drip in the boat.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25050&st

Post by Norm »

Well out fitted :wink: I like the stinger...its just too pricy :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Yet another great set up and way to approach your fishing needs. Very nice.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
pbr

Post by pbr »

Sorry wrong spelling that is Cultiva not Culvita lure.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Hey pbr, did you buy those Bee Ready rod holders locally, or did you have to order them online?
pbr

Post by pbr »

Bought them on line
DonS

Post by DonS »

Very nice! Looks like a natural conversion for a Native Ultimate for rowing. Where did you get the oars? Do you row by pulling or pushing the oars?
stroke - stroke - glide
pbr

Post by pbr »

I got the oars from Carlise they are 6ft. long which seems about right, they are two piece, I have ordered some carbon fiber ones, so these will be for sail in a week or two if you are interested. I push and pull both, for approaching fish the pushing method works very well, for moving long distance or higher speeds pulling seems to work better. All I know is I can cover a lot more ground with less fatigue.
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

Nicely outfitted, I haven't seen a gator out there yet and I hope I never do :shock:
Alnorito

Post by Alnorito »

I bet is the one from the no motor zone lagoon just east of marys point.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Dont know, this one was pretty big, also vary wary it would never surface within 100 yds of a boat
DonS

Post by DonS »

OK, a second look confirms that a similar design would work on my Ultimate 14-5.
What is your final distance betweem oar locks?
What if any oar locks are you using? Looks like just holes in the 1x2s.
Is the 6' length oar still OK after you spread the pivots.
I might be interested in your old oars.
stroke - stroke - glide
chuckm310

Rowing canoe

Post by chuckm310 »

I have a 14' Mohawk, (manufactured in Orlando), 5 years old that i haven't used yet. Why? The canoe is in Tampa Bay and I am in Cody Wyoming. LOLL But we are going to start wintering in Sun city Center.

I plan on rigging the canoe this winter and the thought of the rowing is intriguing. I am however going to install a trolling motor to use regardless of the paddle row system I use. I am sure I will have many questions, so look out. I am really looking forward to fishing in the canoe because yak, canoe, it's the next best thing to wading.

And of course..........

TightLines