Another newbie question

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Another newbie question

Post by Todd »

This pertains to leader/tippet/the end of the fly line.

What is your standard, Tampa Bay inshore, "stuff" that you tie to your fly line? And what knots do you personally use.

My question is response to this posted by Rev.
The overall leader consists of different sections--the butt (heaviest), the midsection (lighter), and the tippet (lightest). Then you may have a bite section of of heavier flouro or mono next to the fly, like leader on conventional gear.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

My standard leader starts with a loop to loop connection with the fly line. I use a whipped loop on the end of the fly line and a perfection loop in the leader. For a floating line, the butt section of the leader is 30# Hard Mason mono of about 4.5 feet. The mid section is 20# Hard Mason mono connected with the butt section with an Albright knot. The mid section is about 3 feet. The tippet section is 10# Fluorocarbon, again connecting with an Albright knot. This section starts at about 2 feet and is discarded when it gets down to about 15 inches. If I use a bite tippet, it is usually 20# to 25# fluorocarbon, again using an Albright knot.

For sinking or sink tip lines, the leader is much easier. I use about 5 feet of 25# fluorcarbon level leader, going to about 2 feet of fluorocarbon tippet and a bite tippet if necessary.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

I've been buying the pre-made 12 lb tapered leader (cause I am too lazy to tie my own, plus I have heard in "weedy" months, the less knots you are throwing out the better. Then I use 12-24 inches of 20 lb flouro bite tipper. For knots, I use a perfection loop for the leader and connect that with the loop on the fly line. For the bite tippet to leader connection I use a slim beauty.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

If you use a blood knot the tag ends will be perpendicular to the leader meaning that if properly set and trimmed you will not pick up weeds. IMHO extruded tapered leaders suck.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
islander

Post by islander »

I use the "rule of halves".

1/2 the entire length of leader (4.5 ft. or so) = 40 lb.

Next section is half the above length (two feet or so), 30 lbs.

Half the 30 lb. length with 20 lb ( a foot or so).

Tippet (usually 14 lbs or so depending on what's on sale). I don't use bite tippet, because bite tippet is for girls.

Surgeon's loop at the top of the leader to connect to fly line. Blood knots connect everything else. Make them all out of Seagar.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

On a 9 weight -

4' of 40 lb test
3' of 30
2' of 20

On a 6 weight

4' of 30
3' of 20
2' of 10

loop to loop on the top- then blood knots
uni to the fly

all lines are Seaguar Floro

Very rarely use a bite tippet

I change the last part of the fly line when it gets to about 8" to 10" or on the next outing regardless of size

I am not the best person to take advice from on flyfishing, but it works for me.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I am a believer in LONG tippet...my tippets go from 3 to 5ft for a nice "fluffy" landing and I go for the 8-12lb class...I also am a big fan of bite tippet but not so heavy...maybe up to 30lb flouro and about 4-6inches usually...I am also just as confident on mono over flourocarbon...for me the flourocarbon is overated and has given me more worries than advantages...it is also heavier so I tend to shy away from it for anything other than tippet or bite tippet...for me a 12ft leader is about as short as I dare use but will go up to 20ft on my 10wt...remember that heavy leaders are visable to fish just like flyline and the farther away you keep the business end away from the fly the better...tarpon seem to not care as much so for them you can go much shorter tippet
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

FishingDL wrote:On a 9 weight -

4' of 40 lb test
3' of 30
2' of 20

On a 6 weight

4' of 30
3' of 20
2' of 10
That's pretty much mine too. I only use fluoro for the "tippet" and Ande saltwater line for the rest. The butt has a perfection loop, the 30-40 a blood knot, and a perfection loop at the end. The "tippet" is looped using a surgeon's loop. (On my light tippets, I will use a double loop using a turtle knot.)

My leader to fly connection is usually a Canoeman knot or a standard loop.

Another good leader is 4ft of 40# albrighted to 15lb: quick. simple and gives good turnover.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009