Chief's EP attempt

Chief1600

Chief's EP attempt

Post by Chief1600 »

I see where Rooster posted his, here's what I'd call my first real attempt at an EP type fly. Had time on my hands this weekend , this gave the mind something to keep it occupied. I won't even show you the others I've tried. This is the first one I would consider showing to anyone. Still have to work on using the markers but the trimming to shape is starting to get better. At least it resembles what it's supposed to be. Got to get some other colors of hair, want to try a pinfish.

Feel free to comment.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

That dog will hunt...nice work Jim 8)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Chief's EP attempt

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Chief1600 wrote: Feel free to comment.
Don't matter what we think .... go fish it and see. I'm with mauso1 ... they'll eat it.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
apaulos

Post by apaulos »

I'd generally think your flies would work best for redfish here, but the orange ones look good too, and I bet they'd work well on our black drum.

How can I get some to try out? :D
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Looks good. I personally like a little less material to avoid combing them back to shape so much.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

BearsFan wrote:Looks good. I personally like a little less material to avoid combing them back to shape so much.
Seems like no matter how little hair I tie in each bundle it builds up too much. This one is much better than the earlier versions I did. It's hard to believe how much just a few fibers turns into on the hook. Will keep trying.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Jerkbait wrote:I'd generally think your flies would work best for redfish here, but the orange ones look good too, and I bet they'd work well on our black drum.

:? :?:
Jim - snooty elitist

apaulos

Post by apaulos »

You're suppose to now tell me to, "BUY them from me like many people do....OR tye your own".

In turn I get all huffity and you end up offering to send me a bunch. It's a strange sort of fly swap the lagoon fishers do... :wink:

Chief1600 wrote:
Jerkbait wrote:I'd generally think your flies would work best for redfish here, but the orange ones look good too, and I bet they'd work well on our black drum.

Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Jerkbait wrote:You're suppose to now tell me to, "BUY them from me like many people do....OR tye your own".

In turn I get all huffity and you end up offering to send me a bunch. It's a strange sort of fly swap the lagoon fishers do... :wink:

Chief1600 wrote:

:shock: Uh, okay, well here goes. Buy them like everybody else. I guess I could send you one if you get really upset. :lol:
Jim - snooty elitist

bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I am offended too...I will pm you my address :lol:
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Finally got to go out Saturday morning for a little fishing/decompressing after the events of the last few weeks. Tried my EP fly for the first time. Casts okay but, turns out it's so full and bushy it holds a lot of air inside and floats most of the time. If you wiggled it enough it would usually go under after a little bit. It did look pretty good in the water just too full so back to the vice.
Did manage a couple of light strikes but no hook-ups. Mostly just nice to go out for the morning.
Jim - snooty elitist