Fly Fishing for Bass

Let's hear reports from other places.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Fly Fishing for Bass

Post by Erick »

After hitting the snooze 5 times Saturday morning (long week), I finally got rolling about 6:00 am headed for Lake Davidson to attempt to fly fish for bass. Took a custom 5 wt made for me at least ten years ago that I have maybe used 10 times (I am not much of a fly fisherman)....had to "tame" the line last night trying to get it to be able to cast today. Went to get a leader, I use pre-made, had nothing. So I had to make one. Now I am not a leader expert for fly fishing. But I used some green 20 lb, then some white 12 lb and finished it off with some Backcountry Blue in 10 lb. It was WAY too long. So I had to re-do it. Any leader making experts please feel free to chime in.

Anyway, after a quck stop at McD's for breakfast I was on my way. But on the way I realized I was almost out of gas, so then I had to go find a gas station. Finally launched by 7:30. Should have stayed in bed.

Popping Bug Fly:

Had trouble with the macro on Saturday, none of the photos of the fly came out.

Dragon Fly:

That was my choice of fly for the morning. Brought some others in case. Almost immediately I was getting little pops from various fish with mouths too small to take the fly. But at least that was something. I was casting up to the shore, trying to focus on areas that looked to have structure underneath when my fly got sucked down and fish on:

Not a great photo but a small bass was a nice surprise. Two cast later same thing but smaller. Hooked two more bass working that same shore line, and of course missed some other smaller strikes from what I believe were panfish. And finally got one of those as well:

When you are fly fishing, size of the fish seems not too matter too much.

Around nine the bite seemed to die, my arm was tired from casting so I called it a morning. But it was a fun less than two hour outing that is for sure.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Looks pretty relaxing.

Tips:
1. Dont eat at McDonalds
2. Try to stretching that leader and get all the coils out.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Fly Fishing for Bass

Post by Todd »

Erick wrote: Image
Another tip-use the fish above for bait.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

You take what you can get.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Erick, did you transplant Ozello pinfish?
- Jon
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Tht bluegill is definitely large than the bluefish you caught up here.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch