local pond

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

local pond

Post by ray-uk »

Ok so it been all work no play for me lately, but managed a few hours yesterday evening at a local place in search of tench, arrived at about 4 o’clock and fished till around 9pm.

For this session 6 mtr pole was weapon of choice and it was soon set up and ready to go, 4lb line to a 3lb h/length finished with a size 16 hook was the rig.

Now a pole does not require a reel, instead it has an internal elastic that acts as a kind of bungee system.

I had corn and pellets for hook bait along with a tub of mixed feed pellets.
Once I had decided on the spot I was going to fish and was ready, 3 pots of feed went in, then it was time for a cup of tea.

Ok, tea over, single grain of corn on the hook, time to fish.

first put in resulted in a small tench.

Next put in, again using corn on the hook resulted in another tench, this time a bit bigger.

So another smaller pot of feed was introduced and still using corn on the hook, I continued to catch tench steadily throughout the session, after catching a few, I was interrupted by a small carp.

Then it was back to the tench again, feeding a small pot of pellets every other put in, I managed a total of 22 tench and the 1 carp.
Not a bad evening, the rain had mostly stayed off and it was actually quite pleasant.

Will be going back for another go at the tench.

Was just so good to be on the banks again.

Ray
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Ray, great report. One question, did you have the line out while having tea or did it just happend to be "tea time" so you had to do that first prior to fishing? Always good to see your reports and hear about the proper way to fish. I will have to remember to bring tea on my next outing (does rum and coke count?).
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I watched some gents play golf over there yeaterday. The weather looked terrible. Glad you could get out and show us how to fish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ah the red-eyd green bodied Tinca Tinca, nothing says summer to an Englishman like a day of Tench fishing.

jealous me old mate, very jealous
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Re: local pond

Post by Rik »

ray-uk wrote: Now a pole does not require a reel, instead it has an internal elastic that acts as a kind of bungee system.

I had corn and pellets for hook bait along with a tub of mixed feed pellets.
Once I had decided on the spot I was going to fish and was ready, 3 pots of feed went in, then it was time for a cup of tea.

Next put in, again using corn on the hook resulted in another tench, this time a bit bigger.
Ray, can you explain what that small pot is used for?
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I was wondering the same thing, I couldnt tell if it was just a way to hold your bait or actually like a way to chum. That seems to be a long rod, and to make sure the fish come to a certain area maybe you "dump" the food as chum?.....just guessing of course but certainly interested in his answer.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

3 pots of feed went in
I think it is "chum"
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

thanks for the replies gents.
did you have the line out while having tea or did it just happened to be "tea time" so you had to do that first prior to fishing?
it was tea time prior to line going out, after feeding my initial 3 pots of feed/pellets=chum, i always have tea to give the fish time to find the feed and settle confidently on it.

as for the pots.
well they are basically home made gadgets that simply attach to the tip of the pole using elastic. as the line/float/bait hangs directly beneath the end of the pole, it is a good was to introduce feed as you fish, in effect, you can put in feed and put you hookbait in the exact same spot everytime, therefore, theoretically, keeping any fish in a tight area, and by the way you feed, you can keep them competing for your hookbait.

jealous me old mate, very jealous
so get you yankee ass over here again mukker and we will do it. :wink:

(does rum and coke count?).
yes but not when its raining.

The weather looked terrible
it is, hence the reason i have not been out on my yak for ages. :cry:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

holy moly....your fishing techniques are very interesting and I must confess I hve never seen such a thing
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Nice report Ray ... glad to see you're still able to sneak out every now and again ! I'll have some DVD's headed your way next week. ;)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association