Offshore kayak tournament

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
palmbeachpete

Offshore kayak tournament

Post by palmbeachpete »

For the first time the Flotilla Fishing Tournament added kayaks to there K.D.B. offshore tournament. K.D.B. is king fish, dolphin, and bonito. Kayaks had their own deviation but could take the money from the power boats if they paddle out, catch their fish, and paddle in to the inlet and then paddle to the weight in without any help from any power boats. I was up for the challenge. Five kayaks were at the beach at daybreak. The weather should had been 2 foot and less with a S.E. wind at 5 mph. But it was more like 2 to 4 foot out on the second reef. with wind 10 to 15. We give the sun time to come up a little and check out the seas.

The seas were to calm down in the afternoon. We paddled out from the beach north of Lake Worth. Yakattack, Nelbag and Pescar paddle out to the north east and catch the current north. Pete and myself paddle out into the wind, waves and current to a wreck that lay in 120 feet. On a calm day it will take 30 minutes but it took us over a hour to reach. The seas were 2 to 3 foot with a few 4 footers. The fish were on the wreck and I hooked up on the first drop. The fish puts up a good fight and a 15 lb. bonito comes in. Paddle back, drop and hook a 8 lb.king. Paddle back and hook another 15 lb. bonito. Drop and more bonitos in the 10 lb class. It was a little choppy for pics but the seas did start to lay down when Pete hook a small jack and I got a pic.

We had a long drift so we went on. I was using the new Shulure and they worked better than the old ones. I was hooking bonito after bonito.

Ok, no more pic of bonitos. I kept hooking and Pete 2 had a hard time hooking up. I give him one of the new Shulure and he hooks up on a BIG AJ in 140 feet.

The AJ takes him in to the bottom. Pete 2 then hooks up on a king.

I hook up a king and a small jack.

The king kicked some water on the camera. It is not easy to take a pic with a king's tail between your legs.
Pete 2 did hooks a few bonitos also. NO more bonito pics. It was 1 PM and we make our way to the inlet.

Thanks for the pic, Willie. It was a 1/4 mile paddle up the I.C. to the weight in. Overall we covered 23 miles at sea. I bring the fish to the scale.

The top bonito in the power boat tournament was 16.1 lb. My top bonito was 15.1 . One pound less but did not place with them. There were 6 bonito 15.4 to 15.9 lb. I did take first in the kayaks.

I will take it all from the power boats next year. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. The food was great. All the bonitos were made into bait and the kings went to to the grill.

Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Congrats, that's pretty hard-core. I bet you guys will sleep well tonight. Hats off to ya.
Roughing it smoothly
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

wow i really want to try that
plagsage

Post by plagsage »

Is that 600lbs. of gear on there?, How does it float?

It does look like fun.
Native Ultimate 14.5