Recommendations for a 4 wt.

Snook712

Recommendations for a 4 wt.

Post by Snook712 »

I am going to New Hampshire and Maine for a week this summer and want to build a 4 wt. 4 piece to take up for some freshwater fishing. I have never built a fly rod and would like some recommendations on a good blank

I see Mudhole has a lot of flyrod kits with name brand blanks. How are the components on the kits?
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I have purchased a kit one time and was not happy with the components. But then again, it was a cheap kit with a cheap blank for a rod I was going to give away.

I have bought some stuff from Mudhole and have been happy with them, but they don't carry Batson Rainshadow blanks, which are my favorite. If I was going to get a kit from them, it would probably be the Temple Forks TiCr. I'm sure noles would probably go with a Matrix kit.

Hookhack.com is cheaper, but the service is shaky. You always get what you order, but it's not always on time.

My favorite suppliers are Dan Craft and Schnieder's Rod Shop. Both have links on Rodbuilders.com.

What I usually do is find very good blanks at discount prices by searching the web. Then I order the components separately to get exactly what I want.

If you buy a kit, either e-mail the supplier or call them to get them to tell you exactly whats included. Make sure, for example, if you want titanium or chrome finishes on the guides, you are not getting black ones. Make sure you know if you are getting glues, thread and finishes.

How much do you want to spend on the rod? You can get a decent kit for about $100. You could probably put together a very nice rod for about $160.
noles

Post by noles »

I would second Bob's advice on avoiding the kit and buy the individual components. As far as blanks take a look at:

TFO Finesse Series -- 7'9" 4 pcs or 8'9" 4pcs
TFO Professional Series -- 9' 4pcs
St. Croix SCII or SCIII -- 7'6" 4pcs or 8' 4pcs.
American Tackle Matrix -- 8'6" 4pcs

Not in any particular order, I personally like a shorter 4 wt (less than 9'). Mudhole is a good source for all your components. I use them as my primary vendor for all my supplies. Great service.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

Thanks guys. I think I will avoid the kit then. I have tons of cork rings, thread, epoxy, etc. All I really need is a blank, guides and reel seat.

Noles, I saw that you used fugi single foot guides on fly rods. I love those guides but my flyrods all have snake guides except for the strippers. I would like to try the alnicos on this but wondered if you could guide me on what sizes to use for a 4 wt - 8' rod?

Also, you do spline the tod as a whole or try to do each piece seperatly?
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
islander

Post by islander »

you could guide me on what sizes to use for a 4 wt - 8' rod?
There are guide spacing/sizing downloads available here . The guy who create them is pretty skilled.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
noles

Post by noles »

I'm a big fan of ceramic guides on fly rods, however I only use them on 6wt and above. I think using ceramics on a rod lighter than 6wt probably adds unnecessary weight. I will do use single foot Y frame alconites for the strippers though. I post a photo of my 4 wt, Alconite strippers then wire guides for the runners. As far as guide spacing, you can go to Sage or St. Croix website and use their spacing as a starter. Adjust it to fit your needs. I would also use only a couple of guide sizes; i.e. stripper or two, then use the same size guide for all the running guides.

For the rod spline, do it for each piece. The butt section may be the hardest piece to spline but its not that important. I usually never spline the butt section. TFO will already have marks for the spline if you go with them.
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I have noticed some of you wrap the ferrules but none of my store bought rods have the ferrules wrapped. Is this only for looks or does the wrap serve a reinforcement purpose on these?
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I have never used ceramic running guides, only on the stipping guides. My preference is for single foot guides for the running guides. You make half of the wraps you would when using snake guides. I always use double foot alconites for striping guides, as noles said. It's odd that your factory rods do not have the ferrules wrapped. Every rod I have ever seen had ferrule wraps. It is to reinforce the ferrule and to help prevent splitting.
noles

Post by noles »

dunfly wrote: It's odd that your factory rods do not have the ferrules wrapped. Every rod I have ever seen had ferrule wraps. It is to reinforce the ferrule and to help prevent splitting.
I agree with DF. And don't test cast the rod without wrapping the ferrules first. You can easily damage the ferrules.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

noles wrote: TFO Finesse Series -- 7'9" 4 pcs or 8'9" 4pcs
TFO Professional Series -- 9' 4pcs
St. Croix SCII or SCIII -- 7'6" 4pcs or 8' 4pcs.
American Tackle Matrix -- 8'6" 4pcs
The American tackle throws a 5wt WAYYYYYYYY better than it throws a 4wt. I would honestly NOT use it to build a real 4wt. It will make a nice 5wt. American tackle also has a 3pc 8'-0" 4wt but once again it throws a 5wt much better than a 4wt.

The SCII is nice. I've built 3 of them.
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.