restore or not?

Mother

restore or not?

Post by Mother »

I have a question for you rod builders.

I have a 1930’s bamboo rod. It’s an old Shakespeare Diana 1232. I’ve been getting a bad itch to use it around the ponds at home for pan-fish.

I know it’s a collector’s item, but I’m not really a collector. It needs a few guides, and I’d like to re-do the cork grip.

My question is:

Should I just keep it locked up, leave it like it is, and ignore the itch like I’ve been doing for the last 4 years.

Or

Re-build it, and go hook some pig-gills on it? Does bamboo become brittle after so long?

Anyone interested in taking on the re-build job? And if so, any estimate on what a re-wrap, new guides and cork grip would set me back? (Nothing fancy).

Thanks

E.
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

It's a tomatoe stake. Drop it off when your in the 'hood & I'll prop up a plant.
Mother

Post by Mother »

Actually.. I plan on stopping by the hood soon to check out your progress on you know what.. :wink:
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Usually a Shakespeare bamboo rod is not worth a whole lot unless it is in excellent to mint condition. I would say restore it and use it. If it doesn't have any splits in it, there are several people on this board that have the skill to restore it.
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

dunfly wrote:Usually a Shakespeare bamboo rod is not worth a whole lot unless it is in excellent to mint condition. I would say restore it and use it. If it doesn't have any splits in it, there are several people on this board that have the skill to restore it.
I agree. If it is in need of guides/grip, it's value is lessoned further and unlike most antiques, restoring it will increase it's value (especially if the restorer is uses thread colors and wraps that mimic the original design and matches the grip). I love fishing classic rods because they are best enjoyed on the water, not in a glass case on the wall.

Here is a link where some folks can help you:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
noles

Post by noles »

if you want to restore it, shoot me a PM.

ps
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
Mother

Post by Mother »

Thanks for the replies. guys. I know it's not a precious antique, that's why I'd like to fish it.

Thanks, Noles. I'll send you one.