Sarasota Launches

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Rik

Sarasota Launches

Post by Rik »

Sarasota Launches

Buttonwood Harbor

The launch is located at appx. 3454 Gulf of Mexico Dr. There is a beach access on the west side of the road with overflow parking on the east side. You’ll park on the east side. Be careful to not park on the land for the old restaurant. Please move your vehicle so that it does not block other users of the launch.

You’ll launch through the mangroves into Buttonwood Harbor. Lot’s of fishy areas from shallow flats to deep edges. The edge heading out to Bishops Point is good, as is the area around Whale Key.

Joan M. Durante Park

This launch will give you access to Long Bar. Turn east off of Gulf of Mexico drive onto GulfBay Drive. This is appx. 5550 Gulf of Mexico Dr. Go to the east end of GulfBay Drive and bear left to the grassy parking area within Durante park. Park smartly so you do not block the launch or the access road.

You’ll launch through the mangroves into a very muddy finder canal. Once you paddle to the end of the finger canal, head due east for about a mile and you’ll be at the west end of Long Bar. You will cross a funneled section of the intercoastal so watch for boats.

North Bridge to Siesta Key

This is off Siesta Drive in Sarasota. You’ll park and launch at the north east corner of the bridge. It is a launch off a seawall but it is into very shallow water. Find the concrete block steps that have been set up. If you have some, bring a block or two and add it to the pile.

Once you launch, you have lots of options depending on what you’re looking for. Check the aerial below.

Phillippi Estate Park

This is a public park with a dedicated canoe/kayak launch on Phillippi Creek. Once you pull in to the park, follow the signs to the launch.

Once you launch, you can fish either up or down the creek. Check out the aerial pic below

Turtle Beach Park

This is a county park at the south end of Siesta Key. Launch in the boat basin and head south. Once you turn the corner, you have several options. Flats, deep water, edges – take your pick.

Blackburn Point

This launch is just west of the historic swing bridge on Blackburn Point Road in south Sarasota. Plenty of directions to head from here. One word of caution – watch the tides. The flow is very heavy through this section of the intercoastal.

North Jetty Park

This launch is in Venice, at the south end of Casey Key. It is right at the Venice Inlet. From the launch, you can head into Lyons, Donna and Roberts Bays. All hold fish at certain times of the year. This is another launch where you want to watch out for heavy current and boat traffic.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Are you freaking crazy??!! :shock:

You Maniacs! You posted it! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR sent it to me and asked that I post it. He was ashamed that it had taken him so long.

He put together a very comprehensive list of every launch in the area.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jdber94

Post by jdber94 »

OUTSTANDING work. I'm just south of Stickney Point Road, west of US 41, east of Siesta Key on a canal. You could add my house as well. :D
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Wow, u guys got it made down there. :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Need2YakFish

Post by Need2YakFish »

Very nice job & great google pics. The Vamo Road launch across the bay from Turtle Beach is another good one. If you see a guy crammed into a tan Heritage Featherlite at Buttonwood Harbor, say hi.
A fish bending a rod is just positive feedback from your environment.
onemorecast

Post by onemorecast »

I just visited the 3454 GMD to reconnoiter for future use. As anyone who has checked it out in the last couple of years knows, its totally impassable mangrove roots. Its so overgrown I'm thinking a different address may have been intended. The good news is that other public property is available on LBK.
Rik

Post by Rik »

onemorecast wrote:I just visited the 3454 GMD to reconnoiter for future use. As anyone who has checked it out in the last couple of years knows, its totally impassable mangrove roots. Its so overgrown I'm thinking a different address may have been intended. The good news is that other public property is available on LBK.
You must be visiting the some other place. The launch is fine. The only real problem is the over hanging trees will catch rods standing straight up.
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

WOW. Very nice work. You didnt get them all.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

shallow pockets wrote: You didnt get them all.
Help DaveR out and post what he missed. I'm sure he'd be more than appreciative. :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
shallow pockets

I dont know how to do those fancy maps. ill give it a try.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

shallow pockets wrote:I dont know how to do those fancy maps. ill give it a try.
Save the screen shot in your pictures and then upload as usual. Real easy.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shallow pockets

Little Sarasota Bay

North Phillippi Creek launch
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
Trootin

Re: Sarasota Launches

Post by Trootin »

Is there any launches between Blackburn point and North Jetty???
Team Young & Good Looking
DoubleM

Re: Sarasota Launches

Post by DoubleM »

Trootin wrote:Is there any launches between Blackburn point and North Jetty???
Yes, there is a launch for South Creek @ Park Dr
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.