Projecting loads - kayaks sticking out

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Chief1600

Projecting loads - kayaks sticking out

Post by Chief1600 »

Since this has come up several times I went looking for the Florida statute covering loads projectiing from the rear of a vehicle. Hope it answers some questions

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
State Uniform Traffic Control View Entire Chapter

316.228 Lamps or flags on projecting load.--Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear 4 feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the times specified in s. 316.217, two red lamps visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the rear, two red reflectors visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps and located so as to indicate maximum width, and on each side one red lamp visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the side and located so as to indicate maximum overhang. There shall be displayed at all other times on any vehicle having a load which extends beyond its sides or more than 4 feet beyond its rear, red flags, not less than 12 inches square, marking the extremities of such load, at each point where a lamp would otherwise be required by this section. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 179, ch. 99-248.

Copyright © 1995-2007 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
chuckst1

Post by chuckst1 »

Thanks for the info. :D
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

I'll have about 8 feet of my kayak hanging out of my truck once I get my tailgate extender cut and lengthened. I planned on getting a cheap set of boat trailer lights and mounting on it, seems that should keep me legal...
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

If I'm driving at night with the kayak in the bed, I put a LED bicycle light on the back of the kayak(about $7 at Wally World). It's battery operated, and I haven't changed the batteries yet. It's bright, and you can make it blink a lot of different ways, too. No problems with the cops yet. (I saw a couple guys ride all the way back from Texas with a bunch of boats in the back of their truck using these lights. :wink: )
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

yeah and it was a bunch of boats too! :wink:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Good info thanks. I think the wife has one of those led's on her bike.
Might go missing soon. :wink:
Matt
DMaddogfla

Post by DMaddogfla »

Thanks for the info
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

John wrote:yeah and it was a bunch of boats too! :wink:
Yeah it was a bunch of boats, and there were not all ours, damn freeloaders.

So if I read this correctly my red flag at the end of my 16' kayak, which definitely sticks out more than 4', is not sufficient at night? It looks like I have been illegal for many years, have never had any problems though.

316.217 When lighted lamps are required.--

(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;

(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.

(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

I really do not think a small flag will help a person see my yak if they can not see that big yellow thing sticking out!!!
tarponteaser

Post by tarponteaser »

Do you have to put a red flag on a red kayak? Common sense would say to use a contrasting color, but if the projecting load is red is the red flag even necessary?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

The statute calls for red. A lot of the idea is the flapping motion of the flag to draw attention.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing