Sigh........0 for 7 on the kayak

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rooster

Sigh........0 for 7 on the kayak

Post by Rooster »

Well, went out tonight, same story as the last 6 trips on the kayak, skunkapalooza, :x This trip was the worst of all, spent a few hours pitching under the groves to no avail. I then came across some oyster bars, bait being crashed all around each one, I decided to get out and wade, to sneak in a bit closer to get a good cast in, well, as I'm wading along I found someone's big wad of about 60 lb mono, as it wrapped around my foot and I fell, sliced my thumb up really nicely :x To top it off when I made the splash from falling, the fish spooked and the bite that could have been, turned off. Thumb gushing, I continued to fish. I was determined not to leave the 7th time with a skunk. Then, to make a long story short, I'm paddling to a new spot when out of nowhere the wind went from a breeze to 25knots, and blew me close to a mangrove, the top of one of the rods in the holder, caught a limb, occurring events eventually caused me and my kayak get tangled up in an array of lures, rods, reels, anchor line fishing line stakeout poles and paddles, severely intertwined with mangrove limbs, I spent a good 15 minutes getting that mess squared away, and decided to head back to the launch, head first into a gail force wind, with whitecaps crashing over the bow and spraying in my face..... :x And I still had more fun than I would have sitting at home.....although this bad luck is getting really old...... :x
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
xchristopherj

Post by xchristopherj »

jeeeeeeezee....where are you fishing and what are you using? 7 skunked days sucks :(

still beats bein at work, though.
Last edited by xchristopherj on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

You are making too much noise. 8)
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Don't get discouraged man! I probably had, hate to admit it, a dozen skunks in a row! Sometimes the fish just are not they or are not cooperating. Heck I was so frustrated one time I almost put a for sale sign on my boat and all my gear! :lol:

Keep with it, I've seen to many good reports from you.
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

stay away from the MD 20/20. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

I think that the fish are moving around and getting ready for their fall hangouts.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Everyone gets skunked. Fish the crap out of one spot until you know where the fish will be since they tend to stay in the general area of where you saw them.

One morning you will be fishing that same spot and you will catch a fish on your first cast, and you catch up to 15 quality fish later that day. That is the day when you will stop fishing that spot so you can explore other areas. That is the day you will start using different lures that you haven't used in the past, maybe even pick up the flyrod. That is the day you will realize catching all the fish is not the reason you are out there.

I don't know about you, but I rather catch one fish with a new tactic in a new area than 15 fish with a proven method in a spot I've fished hundreds of times.

I may have strayed off topic here but I enjoy getting skunked every once in a while because sometimes we get caught up in the whole catching portion of FISHING.

Oh, and you should work on not getting things tangled :P
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

srsfsu wrote:You are making too much noise. 8)

This is what puts TPB on the map! :wink:
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Its these mid day lows, I cant get out when the fish are biting anymore, thats why I have had a lot of success stink potting on the weekends but no success during the week on the kayak, Its my time that I am out there, during sunset hours, the tide has been slack, or very weak. I have been less noisy now than ever (with the exception of last night, but that was due to other circumstances somewhat out of my control.)
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

:wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

:lol: I'm back in action, check out the rigging post I made, Got the scrambler ready for war!!!!!! I'm ending the slump the next trip out, hands down...(even if I have to stay out on the water for three days strait!!!!!!!. :lol: )
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

that's the way to do it. Don't let it get to u, ...have fun.
-Cisco-

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I'll have fun! I have fun even on an 0-7 slump, its just 0-7...geeze! :lol: Going out ASAP
el_rustamino

Post by el_rustamino »

fishing is only half the fun. try different lures. if you don't get any action in a few casts. change up. keep changing until you hook up. when all else fails, use live shrimp. You can also try chumming the water. most bait shops have canned fish. I have a camping can opener in my tackle box (along with a first aid kit). Good luck
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Live bait? Oh man, Id rather take 0-25 than use bait or gulp, I'm out there for the challenge, I like to be the one who truly fools the fish into eating plastic, metal, or fur....That, and I just cant sit and wait for a bite, I get way too antsy :lol:
el_rustamino

Post by el_rustamino »

desperate times call for desperate measures! I use a Rapala Original Minnow lure often. I very the retrieve speed until I get strikes. Of all the lures I use, it seems to get the most action. Over here in Texas (on business), the faster I crank it in the harder the hits. My dad uses Mirrolures and I show him up with my beat up, scratched up Rapala. I changed out the treble hooks with two circle hooks to minimize damage to the fish.

I was in Puerto Rico last month and had the chance to toss some lures at tarpon. They had no interest in anything I was throwing at them. Except my nephew's freshwater fly. Not sure how it ended up in my tackle but I was glad to have it. It was the last ditch effort to hook up and as soon as it hit the water, the fight was on! It didn't take long for those fish to tear up that little fly but I did manage to hook up three tarpon before I lost the thing. Just goes to show its good to have a wide variety in your box. You never know what will get the most action sometimes.