J.P. Frogs Hobie Revolution

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

J.P. Frogs Hobie Revolution

Post by Rik »

I have the Hobie Revolution and my greatest concern, after purchasing her, was where to mount a forward rodholder and have access to common items such as hook removers, pliers, GPS unit, etc. Most kayaks have an area in the well to mount a rodholder or place items. The Hobie Revolution does not have this, as that is where the 'Mirage Drive' is located.

I solved the rodholder problem by purchasing the below style rodholder from Ram Mounts. This type suites my needs well, as I use it to hold my rod when re-rigging and also when I get the fish boatside ready for release or bocagripping for a picture, measurement, or transfer to an ice chest. When not needed, with a quick twist of the locking screw, it will lay down flat, allowing the freedom to cast sideways towards mangrove banks.

On the other side of the kayak, I use a regular Scotty surface mount to hold a Scotty extension which holds a modified swivel camera tripod head with a quick release mount to mount a digital camera. I use the Panasonic Lumix DMZ30 which is not waterproof, so if the action is hot and I leave the camera mounted, I'll put a gallon size ziplock bag over the camera to protect it from drips and splashes. Otherwise, I keep my camera behind me in a drybag in the milkcrate.

For an anchor system, I like using a dogleash system. I epoxied a strap to the backside of a dogleash and added two snaps, so it can easily be attached and removed from the kayak.

On the anchor trolly, notice that their are no metal rings or buckles. I only use the one plastic snap to run the anchor line thru. No metal snaps or rings. (I don't like anything 'smacking' on the side of the kayak, making noise).

My stake-out-pole is a simple 1" PVC with a T-fitting as a handle. The pointy end was cut at an angle to help penetrate the bottom and I filled the end with a little "hydraulic" cement to keep it from clogging with mud when pushing into the bottom. I mainly use the stake-out-pole thru a scupper hole. By keeping a little tension on it with a bungie cord, I can leave it in the scupper hole at all times. Whenever I need to deploy it, I just reach over my shoulder and push it down, and reverse the procedure when I'm ready to move on.

My main storage area is an office crate. I basically have it divided into four sections to hold plastic tackle bins, a small soft cooler to hold packages of soft lures, and two other sections to store my boca grip, ram-mount rod holder, camera mount, and quartered sections of styrofoam noodles to keep 'poppin' cork and 'live bait' rigs. :shock:
I occasionally use a PVC divider from rod holder to rod holder to keep the office crate further aft so I can fit a small ice chest or bait bucket behind the seat.

For the daily selection of soft plastics, the Hobie Revolution has a nice tackle insert under the waterproof hatch, just forward of the seat. By removing this, I have added four of the plastic inserts for the smallest 'soft coolers' sold at WalMart. They are easily accessable by sliding to the hatch opening. I use them to keep my wallet, keys, spools of florocarbon, etc, etc...

For measuring fish, I took a 36" length of vinyl seamstress tape measure and used stainless steal snaps to attach it to the side of the kayak, close to the water so I only have to lift the fish a few inches out of the water for a quick measurement.

And finally, not shown, after breaking two home-made carts that fit thru the scupper holes, I purchased the stainless steel one with the plastic and rubber wheels (non inflatable). Now when I return to the launch, I only need a little less than knee deep water to pop the wheels under the kayak and walk the rig back to the truck. I no longer have to nearly empty the kayak to roll it on it's side to insert the wheels in the scupper holes.

'Hope this helps some of you in rigging your kayak. :)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rmiranda76

Re: J.P. Frogs Hobie Revolution

Post by rmiranda76 »

hello
i just got a revo and wanted to know if you had any more pictures and any other ideas for fishing
thanks