Indian Pass (Panhandle)

Big Bend to Pensacola
Skeeter

Indian Pass (Panhandle)

Post by Skeeter »

Nice little camp ground and boat launch at the very tip of Indian Pass. If you check the map for St. George Island and St. Vincent Island you will see Indian Pass. The camp ground is OK for RV or tents and it has water on three sides. The main launch is across the street and very busy with boat traffic on week ends.
If you stay in the camp ground or shop at the store they will let you put in on a small beach in the back of the campground that goes directly into Indian Bay. Lots of oyster beds, reds and trout, almost no boat traffic and very scenic.
On the boat launch side is Indian Pass, it is short paddle across to St. Vincent Island and it is a great place for hiking. It was a former game preserve and it still has wild hogs, and some kind of huge deer that was imported from some place else. It is compleatly wooded and has several fresh water lakes on it. There is also a ferry boat that will take you across and you can rent a beach bike to carry on the ferry and ride the beach. The pass gets full of big tarpon in the summer and also lots of sharks. Great little oyster bar there too. Gotta stop for a dozen and a t-shirt.
It is about a 15 minute drive North up to Joe Bay with several kayak launches available. If you just head toward Cape San Blas from Indian Pass you will see the signs for the launches and they are marked on the map. Sorry I don't have better directions but its been a while since I was up there.
There is also a the St. Josephs Peninsula State Park right on the Gulf at Cape San Blas which is a beautiful park.
http://www.thecapeescape.com/PlacestoGo.html
If your doing more of a family trip I would recomend staying here. You can enjoy the white sandy beach and then put in on Joe bay for an afternoon of fishing.
Nice little get away.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
timmbur

Post by timmbur »

I have fished Indian Pass and had a blast!

A buddy and I were camping at St. Joe State Park and not having any luck with the shore fishing. We were too broke to afford a boat or charter or guide, so we found this little shuttle service at Indian Pass. Captain Joey was the guy's name and he took us out for over 2 hours in a pontoon boat for only $50 apiece. We caught 5 or 6 blacktips and sand sharks up to 6 ft. and had a couple of tarpon on as well, but couldn't get the durn things in. We kept the smallest blacktip and Joey cleaned it for us to eat. We marinaded it and cooked it on the grill that night. Quite tasty!

This was one of the funnest fishing trips ever.
A smooth sea never a skilful mariner made
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

When I lived in Tallahassee that was a regular stop on my fishing/Scalloping schedule..........Great Campground Cape San Blas was a scallop mecca.......I really would like to go back up there one weekend during scallop season......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!