Mosquito 7-1

West Palm to Jacksonville
xfactor

Mosquito 7-1

Post by xfactor »

Not a bad day. Almost no wind until about noon. The name should be changed from Mosquito Lagoon to Grass Lagoon. There was so much loose floating grass that fishing was very difficult. I found the trout and if you could keep the grass off your lure they were very willing to strike. Nothing on topwater, grass on every cast. All strikes and fish on MirrOdine. Caught 6 trout up to 22 inches. Lost one that would probably go close to 30 inches. Also caught the other usual trash can fish. Found the Reds but could not get them to hit anything. Most of the Reds were just laying motionless in the grass. They looked like they were sleeping. Still enjoyed the day.

Jimmy

The Grass

The 22 incher
Last edited by xfactor on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Sorry about this post. :oops:

Jimmy
Shep

Post by Shep »

Nice fish.
How do you survive out there in the sun with those black pants on with shoes and socks? I'd sweat out in 5 minutes. :lol:
New place, new fishing adventures.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Where did you fish that you encountered the grass? Nice trout.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

I was fishing down in the southern area by Pelican Island and Max Hoeck Creek. The pants are a single layer of very thin Nylon. They aren't very hot. If I wore shorts my snow white legs would blind everything within a mile. Been working on my tan so that I can go back to shorts.

Jimmy
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

xfactor wrote:I was fishing down in the southern area by Pelican Island and Max Hoeck Creek. The pants are a single layer of very thin Nylon. They aren't very hot. If I wore shorts my snow white legs would blind everything within a mile. Been working on my tan so that I can go back to shorts.

Jimmy
Yeah, you just fished the grassiest area of the whole lagoon!
Lots of folk have been back in there as of late...
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

I know a couple of good spots there and wanted to try some new flys that I received from an un-named member. Wanted to field test them an give a report. But, grass doesn't cast good on a flyrod.

Jimmy
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Yea, fished the Indian River off Titusville today and couldn't use any topwater or sinking plugs...just pulled in tons of grass...got couple trout, tooooo many (*%&*^$blow fish to count....had tons of reds to look at...think they were looking back too!! Wouldnt' take anything offered so after about 4 hours gave it up and went bowling!!! lol....

Gonna try a spot on M. I. Tomorrow!!!

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Bob, we will need a grass report. I have a friend coming down for some fly fishing this weekend.

Maybe you will run into the tarpon out there like I did. No, not the ones in the cove/canal, the ones on the flat.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

LOL...tons of grass...worst than all of last year....had trouble even pulling a Capt. Mikes spoon thru it.....lots of reds, but they're were just window shopping....caught a bunch of trout of various sizes but couldn't tempt a red with any color or any size.

Absolutely beautiful day on the water tho....

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
stubb

Post by stubb »

You all need to use a Texas rigged plastic. slides right thru the grass with no trouble nor snag-ups. And, the reds are laying in that grass as the day heats up.
The grass is far worse in areas with northern exposures. Like Pelican Island and the areas around it. And, by way warning, the Eddy Creek launch ramp is so stacked up with grass 20' from the waterline that you need a 4x4 to get out of there. My F150 barely made it.
On Sunday, at a south Lagoon area that shall remain nameless, I got into several big schools of reds and 30" singleton trout in about 12" of crystal clear water. Got 7 reds 3.5 to 5 pounds and a trout a hair over 30".
All caught on Ol' Faithful, Exude luminescent pearl with a green tail.
Some days it's chicken, the next day it's feathers. stubb
"Let every man be swift to hear, quick to think, and slow to speak.." El Stubbo