favorite/least favorite lures....

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rooster

favorite/least favorite lures....

Post by Rooster »

What are yours, ones you cannot live without? I cant say I have a "favorite" just yet, however these are the ones I have had the most success on thus far.
Mine favorites are...
1) Exude jerk baits on a red 3/8 jighead, or a weighted worm hook (I have cought the most fish on this setup so far, but they tear up super easy, I cant keep them in my tackle box because I go through them so much.
2) DOA shrimp under a cajun thunder popping cork (trout annialate this thing!!!)
3) Mirrodine, (I dont think I have really mastered this lure, still unsure if I am using it correctly) , however upon trying it a few times I have cought a few fish.

Which ones do you regret spending money on....?
1) A gold nemire spoon, Im yet to actually hook a fish with this, but they love the fancy skirt I keep having to replace, if I reel it slow it dont have much action at all, but if I speed it up a hair, it always rises to the surface and then glides on top, by far the most annoying spoon have ever used.
2) rapala x-rap, if I can keep the lady fish away, it just might be a good lure, nothing quality on it yet as far as in shore comes, the spanish macks love them when slow trolled tho.
3) Gulp shrimp.....the ultimate catfish bait...bad smell left on your fingers.....nuff said.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

1) A gold nemire spoon, Im yet to actually hook a fish with this, but they love the fancy skirt
I have one of these - it works better without the shirt.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
FishingKid

Post by FishingKid »

personally my favorite is a red cal jighead with a shad tail on the back, ive caught multiple species on this

the one lure i cant stand is the supposebly "weedless" spoons =/ i catch more grass then anything on those
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

I'm sure if you have read any of my posts you know my favorite lure is the Capt Mikes Weedless Willow Spoon. I also like the MirroLures especially the Top Dawg and Mirrodine. I am not nearly as proficient with the soft plastics as I should be, and certainly there are many on this site who are masters with them.
I do know that if you are having trouble keeping the Exudes on, you can put a dab of super glue on the jig head before you put it on. This helps if you tend to tear them while casting or if fish pull them off too often. Of course it wont help if you are fishing where the lady fish and pin fish are going crazy.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

1. Zara spook jr. - I've caught all my biggest slam fish, and my biggest 1 day slam fish on this lure. Definitely one of my go to confidence baits.

2. Mangrove red OR clear/gold fleck exude - Love exudes they're my absolute favorite, caught more quality fish, more consistantly on these baits then any other.

3.....? I don't think I use much of anything else.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

1/4 oz near clear DOA shrimp followed closely behind the MirrODine, the Captain Mikes Gold Spoon and then the Exude Gold Dart.

Never thought about those that I dont like or regret spending money on. I have caught fish on almost everything I have tried. I have tons of stuff I have bought and never used though. So I guess I shouldnt have spent that money. But cant comment on if they work or not.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

good...

1 gulp 5" jerk camo. if you're into catching fish these slay.

2 any soft plastic on a 1/16 jig.

3. worm hook w/ soft plastic. great when shallow.

4. topwaters though I barely use them any more

bad...

1. spoons. hate them.

2. fly fishing. fantasy dress up day sillyness. the name says it all. flys. like bugs. stream fishing technique. imported from the north.

3. doa shrimp. booooring. though these are plastic jigs and do work.
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

It changes. Right now it is a Exude pearlwhite/silktreuce 5 inch jerkbait. It is what I am using 90% of time these days (although I do change up the color). I also like the Mirrodine, it's about the only other bait I toss. I use the Bomber Long A with good success in the right conditions.

Least favorite - any and all topwater plugs. I don't even know why I carry them. I hate them, I never use them, and when I do try I end up with tangled trebled hooks and tired forearms with no fish in the boat. Props to people who are good with topwater baits. They just aren't for me.
tbray

Post by tbray »

Mirrolure:
1) Mirrominnow

2) Mirrodine

3) Johnson Gold weedless 1/4 oz spoon...

(however, i am trying my best to learn the doa near clear 1/4 per erick.....no luck yet!)
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

1/8 oz jighead and a plastic bait probably catches more fish than anything else I throw. If topwaters worked as well I'd much rather throw them.
Spoons catch a bunch of reds and snook and are always close by.
Least fav. DOA shrimp. Hate em.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
CB

Post by CB »

1|8th oz jighead wtth a cal rootbeer chartruse paddle tail

chugbug top water

gold spoon
Watching the years go by like weekends out of the corner of my eye.
AirForceResDano

Post by AirForceResDano »

i will let you know as soon as i catch a fish
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Favorites:
Zara Spook
Exude RT Slug
Top-pup
and MirrOdine

Least favorites:
Rattletrap
and X-rap

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Odd how you can't seem to catch anything on your Rapala X-Rap. That is consistantly my "go to" snook lure.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Besides flies, which are considered the pinacle of fishing expertise and class, I like the following.

1. Funky Chicken curly tail.
2. Exude 5" Jerk Bait.
3. Johnson Gold Spoon.

Least liked:

1. Anything with a treble hook.
2. Anything with a treble hook.
3. Anything with a treble hook.
Last edited by dunfly on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Favorite - exude gold dart

Least favorite- everything else. :D Actually, the least favorite of the different ones I've tried lately is the mirrodine (everybody boo now). But I can't catch a fish with that thing. Have only caught one trout with it so far, but have tried it a few times. I dunno. Must be doing something wrong.