uk report

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

uk report

Post by ray-uk »

River trent.

We have had some pretty rough weather lately over here, rough enough to prevent me from getting out fishing.

With a few flat days, I got the chance to wet a line, so after spending ½ hour de-icing my car, it was off to the river trent for a few hours with a couple of friends.

Rods today were….2 x 12ft, 1¾lb test curve, both rigged with baitrunner reels loaded with 12lb mono.

An inline flat lead (2oz) was used.

A 10lb fluro hooklength with a size 8 hook finished the set up.

Bait was to be flavoured meat and halibut pellets.

I also packed a 7ft m/h lure rod and an assortment of lures to play with in a small pond that is next to the river.

So, after the initial greetings/tea, off we went to wet some bait.

It was a bright day, although the air temp did not get much above freezing, the water was running icy cold which made for a hard day to get a bite, I made minor changes throughout the day, but still could not mange to get a nibble.

I chucked a few lures around on the pond, but again nothing was showing an interest.

As I was heading back to the river, my mate mark had a take on a mepps spinner, and netted himself a nice little pike.

So back onto the river again for another try, I guessed we had just over an hour of light left so I rebaited, recast, and waited and watched the wildlife.

½ hour later, with no action, my friends arrive with a hot cup of tea, we sat and chatted about this and that as the sun disappeared.

A short while later, bang, my right rod went and something started taking line off the baitrunner, a quick strike soon had a fish on, a few minutes later it was mine.

A welcomed chub was to be my only fish of the session, as it was now -2, we decided to have one last hot cuppa while the cars were defrosting.

All in, a most enjoyable day.

Ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Great report mate, I can' wait to get back on that stretch with you for some barbel fishing Ray.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

Is there a waitress to bring you sandwiches and beer?

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

I can' wait to get back on that stretch with you for some barbel fishing Ray
likewise bro, we will definitley have to seriously fish it, the select few who are allowed to fish that stretch have taken fish to over 12lbs during the past 12 months.

Is there a waitress to bring you sandwiches and beer
not a waitress, but i can get a cold beer delivered, also, we can get domino's to drop off a pizza..........its a hard fishing over here. :wink:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Funny, I was looking out the window today, 75 degrees and sunny. I thought to myself "I should ask Ray where his UK reports have been." Great to see you have at least wet a line. I think I may have to start fishing places where I can get a cold beer and a pizza delivered.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mako

Post by Mako »

man, I tell ya', snook and mullet look kinda weird over there :roll:

Another great report :)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Are you sure you've got the right avatar, John? An englishman should have Gareth instead 8)

I always enjoy your reports, Ray....keep 'em comin' !
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Thanks for posting that ... I was hoping that'd you'd been able to get out and wet a line. ;)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association