Pflueger Reels?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
rabs

Pflueger Reels?

Post by rabs »

I was shopping for a new (3-4000 size) reel for a new rod I have. I went into the store thinking Okuma V series ( I have 3 Epixors that are over 10 years old and work perfectly)

The gentleman behind the counter showed me to a couple of Pflueger reels..... President and Medalist. They look real solid and, out of the box, are VERY smooth.

Anybody had any experience with them?

-rabs-
-rabs-

(Greg from New Port Richey)
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I don't have any experience with Pfluger but beware. EVERY reel feels smooth just out of the box.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Mel Berman touted those reels a little while back. Send him an email and ask him what his experiences have been. He's the only one I've ever heard of say that they use that brand.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
rabs

Post by rabs »

Thanks....will do.
-rabs-
-rabs-

(Greg from New Port Richey)
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Only if they have Cajun Red line... Ask Dan Hernandez....lol
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

How about everyone's favorite giant elf, Mark Sosin?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

LivelyBaits wrote:Mel Berman touted those reels a little while back. Send him an email and ask him what his experiences have been. He's the only one I've ever heard of say that they use that brand.
Put down the Tito Neil.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Blindmullet wrote:Only if they have Cajun Red line... Ask Dan Hernandez....lol
ROFL :lol: :lol: Don't forget that ugly stick light!
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Put down the Tito Neil.
"Tito, you are so transparent" (any good?)

Actually I don't think at 11:53AM yesterday I was into the liquids. Mel's the only one I can think of that's ever mentioned those reels.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

prowler13angler wrote:
Blindmullet wrote:Only if they have Cajun Red line... Ask Dan Hernandez....lol
ROFL :lol: :lol: Don't forget that ugly stick light!
Sometimes its a custom ugly stick... Try his dipping sauce..lol
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

I have several old Pflueger reels from the 50's & 60's. These were still made in the USA. I don't believe they are any more. My old Rocket 1355 works as good as the day it was made. Now if I could just learn to cast with it. :oops:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have been using a Pflueger President 6735 for about three years now, and it has been my #1 reel for most of that time.

It is exceptionally smooth. It has held up to amazing levels of abuse and is still much smoother than my Cabo 20 spin. I has been dunked, beaten, and left for weeks unrinsed. It casts very far. I once pulled a 42" snook out of the mangroves with it.

Not long after I bought it, the nice spool (all the pretty holes and gold trim) warped. I replaced it with the spare, much plainer, spool, and haven't had a problem since.

After 8+ hours in saltwater, it begins to grind. All at once, it goes from the smoothest reel to the roughest. Solution? WD-40. It works like a charm, and I have been dousing it regularly ever since I figured this out. I would take the President ($65) over any reel I have used except the Cabo (at $180+), and even that is sort of a toss-up.

I also have a Pflueger Supreme 40, which I don't like nearly as well. It is poorly balanced and doesn't cast well. Stick with the President. I have no experience with the Medalist.

A note on the 35 size: it is very small. Pflueger's 40 size feels like a Shimano 4000, but their 35 size feels almost as small as a 2500. Pair it with a L-ML rod for a great all-around inshore setup. My favorite has been the Falcon Coastal 7' light popper.

I have absolutely no affiliation with Pflueger, and I can recommend them 100%.
Zach, Blue BigGame

Sic vis pisces, para bellum.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

redfisher wrote:How about everyone's favorite giant elf, Mark Sosin?
Sosin is with Penn now, His new punch line for the commercial is "I switched back to Penn and so should you" :lol:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Punisher wrote: Solution? WD-40.
Probably one of the worst things you could put on a reel. Get it professionally cleaned and apply the correct lubricant and your problems should go away.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

This sure is an old thread. :?

Post by 0119 »

Pflueger, Shakesphere, BPS and some Cabelas are all the same junky reels. All are owned by parent company Silstar, the maker of Pinnacle. They make in house reels for BPS and Cabelas. The new un-american Penn is reportedly made in the same factories. Most everybody gets mad at me for saying this. Check tackletour or wmi.org and find out. And good luck with any of these reels!