South Florida winter fishing advice

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Wuluf

South Florida winter fishing advice

Post by Wuluf »

I am planning to go to Flamingo or Key Largo to get in some winter fishing, but I am not familiar with the weather/tide/fishing conditions there in Jan and Feb. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

What type of lodging is available in Flamingo (including campgrounds).

Thanks!
Wuluf
TK

Post by TK »

You can camp at Flamingo Campgrounds and that is it right now. The lodge and cabins are out of comission. If you want to paddle and camp out int he wilderness, that is a great time of year to do it. Check into the beaches around Cape Sable. They are a comfortable on day paddle and beautiful camp sites.

The fishing will be a bit better inside than outside that time of year. From the beach campsites you can access Lake Ingraham, House Ditch and Slagle's Ditch quite easily.

The back country chickees are also an option. They will offer your best shot at backcountry fishing. However you need permits to use them and you can only use them one night each. The permits are easy to get from the park office.

As far as Key Largo goes, I usually fish down that way in spring and summer, so I can't help you too much on winter fishing down there.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Wuluf

gracias

Post by Wuluf »

Thanks TK. That is a nice start!
Wuluf