Vacation

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
spf105

Vacation

Post by spf105 »

Well, just got back from the Keys to find the forum all crazified.

Anyhow... Here's my report from the Keys.

We arrived late Thursday afternoon and went to dinner with the family at a place called Keys Fishery I had their lobster Reuben which was superb. The marina it was a part of was LOADED with tarpon. I thought about fishing, but I didn't think the owners would have liked it too much. On Friday I helped my uncle move 100 chairs to Pigeon Key where my cousin was getting married. under the dock, there were tons of nice sized snapper hanging out in the shade. Went back to the Keys Fishery for lunch and had the hog fish sandwich which was also great. I also saw that there were more than just tarpon in the marina... There were huge snapper there too.

On Saturday I decided to get some fishing done and went to Bahia Honda and waded around. I was throwing a Zara puppy and had a nice blow up by a Cuda but it didn't take it. I then switched to a Pin's Minnow and cast into deeper water and hooked a 10" yellow tail snapper and then about a 14" cuda after casting into the same spot two new species added to the list. I started walking down the beach and saw a familiar blond woman with a bunch of kayaks. I walk up and it's Chrystal Murray. I say Hi and she asks me if I wanna catch some Tarpon. I say "Heck Yeah!!!" so she tells me of this place. After I said bye to Chrystal, it was time for me to go to get ready for the wedding. At the wedding. just before it was time for it to start, I look out to the water and see some fish tailing. I know they're not reds or mullet because they're tails are forked shaped I'm thinking they were bone fish.

On Sunday, I went to the spot Chrystal told me about. There I saw tons of tarpon, all in the 6" range rolling. I had my camera with me but even when I took a burst of photos, I couldn't get a good pic. Here's the best one I could get:

I did however "catch" a pic of a big iguana:

I moved to another spot and when I was bringing my DOA Shrimp in a tarpon came up and hit it. I tried to set the hook, but my drag was too loose.

It ended up coming off when it jumped. Needless to say after that, I was shaking.

I tried for another hour with nothing to show for it so I decided to drive around.

I ended up finding a small saltwater lake. I walked up and saw a cuda in it so I tossed the shrimp to it. I gave it a couple jerks and the cuda nailed it but missed the hook then took off.

I went back to my car to get something with more hooks, but when I got to my car, I saw a couple of endangered animals

and also another iguana

with my pole and camera I circled the lake looking for more fish and blind casting. When I turned around and saw my new friends

Here's a pic of the fawn

Here's a Key Deer track:

They were no farther than 10-15' from me which was awesome.

After circling the lake, I drove some more and came upon this scene

Monday we checked out and made our way back home. On the way we stopped at World Wide Sportsman and saw the tank with the GIANT Snook, Reds, a Bone fish,a tarpon, and a Permit.

Got home at around 8.

While I didn't get to fish or catch allot, I had a great trip which I can't wait to return.
-Shawn-
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Excellent photos.

Looks like you saw the Keys from a little different perspective than most visitors. Sounds like a great time.

Keys Fisheries is a great place to eat. The lobster rueben is almost worth the trip in itself :D
Dave