Louisiana? REPORT ADDED!

Let's hear reports from other places.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Louisiana? REPORT ADDED!

Post by finatic »

I will be taking a trip along the coast to Pensacola,Mississippi, Louisiana, and possibly make it to Texas camping, kayaking, and of course fishing!
Any info or tips for the Louisiana coast will be greatly apppreciated.
Thanks!
Last edited by finatic on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Ron Begnaud, from http://www.redchaser.com/ might answer a few of your questions should you happen to get as far as Lake Charles, LA.

Haven't fished with him yet but Ron's a very nice guy indeed.

He'll see your post if you put it here ...

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=84

He is mainly fly fishing far as I know but I just bet he knows more than that.

Tell him a disgruntled Postal Worker from Tampa sent you. :wink:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Here is some highs and lows from the trip...
Sunset over the gulf in Grand Isle, Louisiana
A guy camping across from us said he caught and released 9 bull reds up to 44" in the surf from our campsite so the 1st day to the surf it was and this Louisiana red was landed but, not any of the 40"+ fish were to be found.
The mosquitoes were extremely bad the entire time even with 99.9% deet!
Then a cold front came in and brought high winds and made it very cold. But, we found a place to buy jumbo shrimp right off the boat for $2.75/pound so we ate REAL good!
I paddled one full day in the Bayou in a great place that Redchaser, Ron Begnaud gave me some info on. (Thanks FL_SKIBUM and Ron!) It was a great place but, unfortunately the weather and tides were not in my favor. I managed a few specks, a flounder, and had 2 shots at a few "mud crawling reds" with the flyrod but, couldn't get them to eat.
The nights were filled with catching "Louisiana white trout" (sand trout) by the 100's on my 5wt flyrod at the lighted docks at the marina. Seriously it was by the 100's! It was alot of fun on fly and even some good sized speckled trout were mixed in. My wife joined me one evening and enjoyed catching the "white trout" and feeding them to the local dock cats and the huge otter that lives under one of the docks. She also got a jig passed all the trout and caught a dock red! Well, it was enough of Louisiana so we headed out early back to Florida as we took in the depressing sights of stilts everywhere from houses, life jackets in trees, boats on the side of the highway, and the campers and trailers everywhere that people are still living in next to their demolished homes.
Back to Florida!
We got word about 5lb pompano being caught in the surf at Perdido so we tryed our luck and my wife reeled in this cute little pomp!
The cold and winds followed us so my paddling was limited but, I managed a few morning sessions in big lagoon and caught some fat spotted seatrout on the "mirrominnow."
It was a great trip and great to be back in Florida!
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Looks like a great time despite the bugs and foul weather. Glad Ron was able to help you out.

Nice report and pics ... even the reminder pic about the tragedy that struck that area.

I haven't had a 100 fish day since I quit going to Okeechobee for Specks years ago.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey