Measuring boards - HELP!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Chief1600

Measuring boards - HELP!

Post by Chief1600 »

I had hoped to have this all worked out this weekend but none of my ideas panned out. I don't have any measuring boards for the OLC yet. Iv'e got the stickers to go on the board, just need some ideas how to make the thing.
Went to Lowes to get some plastic gutter but it's only 3" or 4" wide, just didn't seem big enough ( if you veterans think that would work I can still do that. Also looked at 8" plastic pipe to cut down the center but this is kind of pricey. I remember seeing some posts about building measuring boards but can't find them now. Hoping to find a way that's light weight.
Any ideas welcome.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/padd ... ring+board

sroll down ...you'll find it.. vinyl gutter shield less than $5
attach sticker of your choice..BIG NUMBERS HELP :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, just couldn't figure out which thread to look under.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

I'd like to find the ruler that you can tape to the paddle or something like that.I've seen them somewhere but can't remember where.
wiggleyourjig

Post by wiggleyourjig »

Paddle Zone .com

Mike
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

That's it! Thanks.
nemo327

measuring board

Post by nemo327 »

I just made one from plexiglass. Ace hardwear sells Plexiglass in 4" by 36" strips. I used a heat gun to soften then bend 3 " to a 90 degree angle. Then marked the appropriat numbers with a permanent marker. this measures everything up to cobia (33"). I used it monday and it worked like a charm.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I lost my first board at the Mirro-Lure challenge, it's on the bottom off of 4th Street. For the Space Guppy challenge I made a new one from a recycled political sign, one of those made out of the plastic air core material. I folded the edges up and the ends across, held it all together with contact cement. The Florida Sportsman sticker stuck to it just fine. It's light weight, the folded edges make it fairly rigid, gives you the white background and best of all it floats.

I may work on some design improvements and make up some more, once you figure it out they don't take very long to make.
Jim - snooty elitist

Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

I made mine out of a PVC fence, 5200 and a couple of screws. I have the BIG # sticker on there now.

Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Nemo and Chief - let's see some photos.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Fishwhistler

This one is easy

Post by Fishwhistler »

I called Cabela's and read off a buncha plastic numbers and a few days later, a brown truck pulled up and my UPS guy had to be told, what new secret weapon, I had ordered now and lo and behold, here it is. It's concave and has a back board on the starting end, so the fish do not flop around and injure them selves. very nice and easy to read.also very light.

shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

That's a nice set up. Only 30" though. I guess that's good enough until you get into a tournament and catch a fish longer then that.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I like that too. Based on the fish I've caught so far the 30" length wouldn't be an issue, maybe someday.
Here are some pictures of the board I made out of the air-core material. Its light, easy to make and floats. As I said I'm going to refine the design and make some more. WHen I do I'll post some pics of the pattern and the assembly process to make it clearer. This is all one piece of material folded and glued.

Jim - snooty elitist

flflyfisher

Post by flflyfisher »

Does the inter core soak up water when it gets wet?
Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional!
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

There's nothing in the core, just air. The material is plastic about 1/8" thick with ribs between the top and bottom about an 1/8" apart. With the actual material thickness, the holes are probably only a little over 1/16". I guess if you held it down in water deep enough it would run in there but the surface tension seems to keep it from filling up. I had thought about running a bead of sealant along the edges but so far doesn't seem like it needs it.
That may be an upgrade for version 2.0 now that I'm not in a hurry.
Jim - snooty elitist

fishnfinatic

Post by fishnfinatic »

Whistler, the only thing with that board is most catch and release tournaments dont allow curved boards. It causes tht tails to pinch giving you some extra measurements. It's the same way using gutters.
Tight Lines
Shawn