uk w/end

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

uk w/end

Post by ray-uk »

Fishing w/end.

A few of us have an annual fishing w/end to raise money for multiple sclerosis over here in the u.k.

Basically, we get together, fish, drink, bbq and make as much money as we can for our chosen charity.

I arrived at the river around midday on Friday, made the initial greetings then set up my home for the w/end.

Tent city

Next thing was to get the rods set up, only 2, a m/heavy lure rod and a 11ft heavy action rod.

The lure rod was accompanied by 40lb pp and a titanium trace, a large selection of lures were on hand, as this was more of a fun w/end, it would give me the chance to play with different lures.

the 11ft rod had with it a baitrunner reel, loaded with 12lb mono, added to this was a 2oz free running lead on the main line, rubber shock bead and a swivel, with a hooklength of 10lb fluro finished off with a size 6 extra strong hook.

The Friday was spent meeting up with old friends, sitting around indulging in a beverage or two, taking in the wildlife etc.

Hippy shot

In the evening we headed to the village pub, a bbq had been laid on for us with the proceeds going to the charity.
Needless to say, no fishing was done, a few of us sat up through the night enjoying a glass or two of red, watching the sun rise and taking in the dawn chorus.

After a few hours sleep, it was time for another bbq then it was time to think about fishing.

Bait for this session was to be 21mm halibut pellets and what we call “boiliesâ€
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Very nice report Ray...and pics!

The pva dissolves quite quickly on contact with water leaving the small pellets around the hook bait.
Is that pva netting readily available ..say on the internet?
A short while later I was landing a barbel.
Well Done..Is the barbel related to the carp? A nine pound carp puts up quite the scrap :!:
18 of us were there and we managed to raise £1000 for our charity.
Again..Well Done. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

yes sir, pva is readily available in various forms, anything from mesh to bags.

if you want some, shoot me an address and i'll send ya some over to play with. :wink:

barbel are not related to carp, they fight much harder, imo the hardest fighting fish we have over here.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

awesome. thats a lot of rigging! swivel, roll, boil, wrap, tie, hook, drill, thread, tie again, cast, drink! It's kind of like knitting a lure... cool report. Thats a bitchin' barbel.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great report as per the norm Ray. From the looks of that neat row of tents it seems as though you are ready to lay siege. Looks very.... errrrr... English. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
rev

Post by rev »

Outstanding as usual Ray.
tbray

nice

Post by tbray »

cool report Ray - I love the pic of the dragonfly...cool....

That tent setup looks a lot like the one i set out in my back yard when my wife gets mad at me. Except its usually more beers and less wine :wink:
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Fishermen that appreciate a good red.... Ray, you are all welcome to my wine cellar anytime you are in the area, perhaps we can get you a good red (fish) on the fly to accompany it.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Fishermen that appreciate a good red....
sitting on the banks of a beautiful river, watching the sun go down, listening to and watching the wildlife, just seems to compliment a nice glass of red perfectly.

ray.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: nice

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Hey Ray .... nice report!!
tbray wrote: That tent setup looks a lot like the one i set out in my back yard when my wife gets mad at me. Except its usually more beers and less wine :wink:
I was thinking almost the same thing except I thought he brought way too much water along. Keep the wine and beer and pour out that jug of water ... helps lighten the load. :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
islander

Post by islander »

Definately looks like fun! Those boilies are kinda gross looking. I guess I'd drop a few out of my shorts in public. No offense, but they kinda look like "dingleberries". Combine that with wine and...

Please, keep the carp reports coming.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

islander wrote:Definately looks like fun! Those boilies are kinda gross looking. I guess I'd drop a few out of my shorts in public. No offense, but they kinda look like "dingleberries". Combine that with wine and...

Please, keep the carp reports coming.
Freakin' dingleberries! :lol:

I love the report and pictures Ray. Will see you in October mate. :wink:
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

I was thinking almost the same thing except I thought he brought way too much water along.
no sir just the right amount, ya need water for that first cup of tea in the morning, plus to wash and shave with.

ray.