Very Long Baja fishing report with photos

Let's hear reports from other places.
Jim Sammons LJKF

Very Long Baja fishing report with photos

Post by Jim Sammons LJKF »

Punta Colorada July 2006
Group and family trip to Hotel Punta Colorada in Baja’s East Cape with La Jolla Kayak Fishing.

Day one July 19
I fished with Matt Moyer and Todd Groessel, we wanted billfish but only Todd got a fish and it was just a small Dorado, the rest of the day we had some wind and got off the water.

Day two July 20

The rest of our guests arrived so we had a full crew today, Matt, Todd, Neil, Mike, Pat, Chris, Trish and Nicholas. Fished with Alonso and as he does, he found us fish. Chris got a 32 lb yellowfin tuna and Neil got one just a bit smaller. While Chris was on his fish a Marlin popped up right next to him. Mike caught a 25lb Amber Jack and everyone else got fish. Just as we were landing a small snapper the shout went out that Matt was on a Bill fish. We were fishing for tuna with only 30lb test line and pretty small hooks for the Sardina we had for bait. Even so Matt made a great fight of it and landed the fish about 2 hours later. While trying to land this one it just about put me in the water as it yanked its bill from my hands. So we now have a new member of the La Jolla Kayak Fishing Bill fish club.
Trish handled the video camera and Mike the still camera as Matt and I were on the water. A great team effort
Pat’s snapper

Mikes Amber Jack

Chris’s Tuna

Neil’s Tuna

Matt’s Marlin swimming

Matt’s Marlin just after ripping it’s bill out of my hand and just about dumping me in the water

The newest member of the La Jolla Kayak Fishing BillFish Club Matt Moyer

Day three July 21, 2006

Just five fishing the kayaks today the others spent the day on a cruiser. We had a steady pick on the snapper and Neil got a nice size skippy The battery died on the panga and we were stuck in one spot for a while until they brought a new battery. Nicholas got picked up by a billfish but it was only on for a moment. Once the boat was back up and running we headed to the lighthouse for a shot at the Roosters. Nicholas got one that was about 20 and Neil got a smaller one. Matt got a Dorado about fifteen pounds, he was happy it was his first. On the way back in Todd finally got a Rooster

Nicholas’s Rooster

Neil’s Rooster

Matt’s Dodo

Day four July 22, 2006

Used two pangas today to make things easier for the larger group. Headed to the spot off La Ribera and jigged mega baits for a while. Trish hooked into a nice fish that really worked her hard. After a 30 minute fight she landed a 25 lb yellowfin tuna. She was a trouper and really pulled hard on this fish. After landing the fish we towed her and Chris back to the group, as we did she was dragging her hands in the water and got nailed by a Man-o-war. Turned a great moment ugly real fast. A few snapper were landed after that but not much. We then took the kayaks to the lighthouse hoping for Roosters, not much going on up there other than one Rooster for Pat. The wind came up pretty early so we had to head in by 12:30.

Trish’s Tuna

Day five July 23, 2006

Todd, Matt and Pat on kayaks plus my son Randy on the panga. The day started out with a bang literally, the bait pump on the boat died. Spent about an hour fixing it, at least while we waited Pat got a 20lb jack near the bait net. Because we only had the three guys and the seas were very flat we were able to run very fast to Los Fralles. I had never fished there before, but Alonso said we may find big Roosters there. When we arrived several of the boat already there were hooked up to big fish. Pretty soon Matt got us started with of all things a 25lb tuna, it was a very funny sight as each time he got it to the surface it showered him with water.
Next up was Randy from the Panga, he hooked into a big Rooster that made four huge jumps. While on this fish we got the call that Pat was also hooked into a jumping Rooster. Randy fought hard and from start to finish was the only one on the rod. The fish was a good one at 50lbs, Pats fish was its’ twin which made him pretty happy. After that things slowed down but Todd did get a small Dorado on a Mega bait.
We had to run in early so that Pat could make his flight home, the plan was to drop Matt and Todd at the lighthouse and run the rest of the way in. Pat decided he had time for one more drift, so we put them all in the water. Within about five minutes Pat was hooked up and very shortly after that Todd got bit. Pats fish put up a good fight and was landed after about 15 minute and was a 35lb Rooster. Todds fight lasted much longer, closer to 45 minutes and covered well over a mile. The fight was longer but I think the fish was a bit smaller, still a great fish a great finish to the day. Matt did get another Dorado while fishing the shallow water at the lighthouse.

Matt’s Tuna

My eleven year old son Randy with his first Rooster

Pat’s first Rooster

Todd’s Rooster

Day six July 24, 2006

Just three kayakers today, Matt, Todd, Nicholas and my daughter Kirstin on the Panga.
The surf was really up this morning at the launch so the bait guys had no big baits, we had to take just sardines. We headed to a spot off Cabo Pulmo where many tuna had been landed the day prior. The swell was huge and the wind was coming up, with many boats in the area and no fish biting we ran back to La Ribera where it was a bit calmer. Still no fish there and the storm caught up with us. We got word from one of the other Panga fisherman that one of our kayaks had been found floating offshore and that they wanted $100 dollars to return it, a hotle guest had left it to close to the water and the approaching storm grabbed it off the beach. Well Todd’s seat and tools were on that kayak and we had no intention of paying to get it back. We made a run to the beach at La Ribera so see if we could find it, sure enough there it was sitting on the beach. Rather to ask any questions I jumped off the Panga, paddle in hand, dragged it into the water and paddled back out to the panga and loaded it aboard, we felt like pirates. The wind really came up after that so we had a very shortened fishing day
This was Matt and Todd’s last day, Great guys I missed fishing with them the rest of the trip.
George Pflaum arrived today, and I have people staying at the hotel that have said they wished to fish with me, to fill out the days.groups.

Day seven July 25, 2006

George Pflaum flew in yesterday and brought a big storm with him, I think we got ten inches of rain at least last night. No fishing today, read all day. More rain and tons of wind, very big waves out front.

Day eight July 26, 2006

Swell still to big and wind to strong to get out on the water. George and I along with Randy took a couple of the quads out for a ride almost to Cabo Pulmo. Tried fishing at the lighthouse but to much wind wade it very difficult. Still we had a blast on the quads and came back and took Kirstin for a ride, saw a large pig walk down to the water as we headed towards the lighthouse, we came back about ten minutes later and the pig was dead. It had become stuck in the sand in the water then drowned. Quite a life lesson for Kirstin.

My family during the storm
In front of the hotel as it was calming down

My family at the same spot the next day

Day nine July 27, 2006
Things laid down and it was a very calm day. The water temperature dropped about ten degrees from the storm and made things rather cool in the morning. We headed out to the spot off La Ribera and on my first drop landed an Amber Jack. After that we landed several nice snapper and one more Amber Jack. When it slowed down we headed south of the lighthouse, the water was green so we kept looking around. When we saw a larger Dorado swimming near the surface we tossed George and his kayak into the water for a shot at the fish, he was quickly bit but his line was wrapped around his rod tip and the fish took his bait. We rebaited him and he was one again very quickly. This time landing a 25lb Dorado. While he was fighting his fish another Dorado was cruising around us but we did not have a bait rod ready, Alonso quickly retied my rig and I jumped into my kayak. I was bit pretty fast but our hasty rigging job proved to be our down fall. The knot Alonso tied fail as I set the hook on a nice size Dorado. Nothing more after that.

George’s Snapper and Dorado

Day ten July 28, 2006

The water is still cold and very green. Kirstin came along for the ride but the fishing was still off. I handed her the rod a couple of times on hooked fish but they came off. George had a bit of better luck and landed a nice brown seabass and a snapper. Other than that it was pretty dead.

Day eleven July 29 2006
Eddie the hotel owner took my family and I to their big Hotel, Palmas de Cortez for lunch. That place is sure looking nice. Big swim up bar and very resorty. We had a great day

Day twelve July 30 2006

Allene, the kids and I took the quads all the way to Cabo Pulmo, which is a living corral reef , about fifteen miles each way. It was a great ride other than getting chased by some crazy dogs. The water up there was still pretty dirty but we did a little snorkeling and had a real fun day

Day 13 July 31 2006
Jumped on the Bohemia with Alonso for one last day of fishing with Allene and the kids, took a kayak of course, just in case.
Not more than ten minutes into the ride we spotted a couple of Dorado cruising the surface. I told Allene this fish was hers, but she told me to go for it. I tossed the kayak in the water and tossed a large mackerel in the water behind me. I was instantly hit by a big fish. It quickly jumped and I realized I was on a real good Dorado but did not realize how good it was. The fight lasted about twenty-five minutes until I got the big bull near to the kayak doing circles underneath me. I could see it was really a good one. After gaffing it I saw I had a real trophy. We took several good photos on the kayak then Alonso hauled it aboard the boat, screaming and swearing the entire time, only the way he can. It was then that I got a look of the true size of this fish. It’s head was giant and when holding it up the tail was touching the ground with the head even with mine. Alonso said he caught one that was 62 pounds in the past and this one was at least as big. I will call it 60 pounds. Way over the biggest I have ever caught, maybe the biggest ever off a kayak?
Saw a Marlin later in the day and trolled a bait from the kayak trying to get it to bite but no luck.

Getting pulled by my Big Bull Dorado

On the Kayak

On the Panga with Alonso

Day 14 August 1, 2006
Snorkled in front of the hotel, Packed, then jumped on a plane for the ride home. Had a great trip with my clients and family. Headed back down in October, can’t wait
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
www.KayakFishingmovie.com
www.EastCapeKayakFishing.com
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

SPECTACULOUS! I can only dream.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Nothing short of amazing Jim.
Great report & congrats on the monster bull!!
Dave
Mako

Post by Mako »

Great report Jim :D

I've caught big dorados down in Venezuela before, but the thrill of catching them off a kayak must be something else.

Is there a website where I can find more info about such trips (hotel, rates, etc)?

Appreciate the info
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

One hell of a report, Jim. Thank you.
Is there a website where I can find more info about such trips (hotel, rates, etc)?
You can't go there Peter, they don't speak Venezuelan in Baja. :lol:
- Jon
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I heard that they don't even speak Baja in Baja, amazing report by the way. I cannot even imagine catching roosters like those from a yak, must have been a fun ride :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Jim Sammons LJKF

My site is www.Kayak4Fish.com
There is information on our trips page. We have another trip going in October if you would like to join us there is room.
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
Jim Sammons LJKF

Here is another post from one of the guys that came on the trip. He and his girlfriend came down early and did some diveing before the rest of the group got there. Great photos.

East Cape 2006

This may take a while to load up, just tried on my work computer, went quick.

I had been watching the reports from Punta Colorado by www.kayak4fish.com with guide Jim Sammons for a couple years now, and really wanted to get down there. So, after a few testimonials, and the ok from my work, I booked our reservations.

Saturday July 15, 2006

Flew out of San Diego via Aero Mexico at nine in the morning, and enjoyed a cold Modelo on the flight out, saw the Volcanoes in San Quintin from the sky. Landed in Los Cabos without incident. The Customs line went fairly quickly, and the Officer was very friendly.

Our ride was waiting for us as we exited the air terminal with the sign that read "Fierro." He was courteous, and stopped by the local liquor store, which price gouged Gringos at $1 per beer. So, after speding $96, we headed North to Hotel Punta Colorado.

The first day, we spent chatting with some of the fisherman who had been there. They reported a storm, and poor fishing conditions. There had been a "Dorado Shootout" tournament.

Sunday July 16th, 2006

The next morning we rented kayaks for a paddle "out front." Immediately saw bait being pushed up all over, and small rooster fish skimming the top of the water. We had many strikes, most were needle fish. Decided to troll a plug, when BAM!! Caught this nice Pargo. (released)

Trish yells over to me to tell me she is on a fish, I start to grind up my Kroc on 8lb line, when BAM!!!! BENDO!!

I fight this fish for a while, and it takes nice runs, but finally lands in my kayak. A smaller model, but great fight, decided to keep it for dinner.

Trish gets her fish up, a nice trigger fish, released.

Just after I released this fish, I was stung by a small Portugese man of war, felt like a bad bee sting, but went away with some cervezas!

Monday July 17th, 2006

I needed to coordinate my annual dive trip as well... Once you dive 100-150ft visibility, you will do anything to get back. Luckily, I was informed that Vista Sea Sport had a dive operation that would pick you up from Hotel Punta Colorado to a preserve in Cabo Pulmo. I was impressed with the service, and was happy to find that there was one Dive master to four divers on the first day, and only Trish and I with one Dive Master on the second day. This is nice for a real personal touch, and to make you comfortable in new water. First day, our Daniella, a Columbian DM, took us to what would become our favorite dive spot El Bajo.

First Dive

Date: 07/17/06
Dive Location: El Bajo
Buddy(ies): Trish, DM Daniella, a couple we will call Streamline & Effortless
Time: 0900
Bottom Time: 50 minutes
Max Depth: 60ft
Vis: 100-150 ft
Water Temp: 85º F
Thermocline: 75º F
Conditions: little to no swell, little current, light winds

Spotted bay bass... :P

Puffer fish

a baja lobster, safe in this preserve...

Streamline & Effortless Divers from AZ stoked after the dive!

Second Dive

Date: 07/17/06
Dive Location: El Cantil
Buddy(ies): Trish, DM Daniella, a couple we will call Streamline & Effortless
Time: 11:30
Bottom Time: 52 minutes
Vis: 60-90 ft

Trish decends on the 2nd dive...

A gold fish in ambush position...

Eel...

This pic does not do these fish justice, but these were the biggest parrot fish I have ever seen.

Tuesday July 18th, 2006

The next day we had a new DM all to ourselves.

Third Dive

Date: 07/18/06
Dive Location: The Caves
Buddy(ies): Trish, DM Ash
Bottom Time: 50 minutes
Max Depth: 70ft
Vis: 50-80 ft

We dove off this "Island" off cabo Pulmo

Lost of Sardinas swimming...

Bait fish swarming this area.

Some Coral...

Fourth Dive

Date: 07/18/06
Dive Location: El Bajo
Buddy(ies): Trish, DM Ash
Bottom Time: 55 minutes
Vis: 80-120 ft

We just had to get back to El Bajo, as we finally figured out how to use our new digital dive camera. This reef was a fish heaven.

We saw some rays swimming by...

Some sort of eel...

fish...

more fish...

These fish were so close I could touch them...

Jacks everywhere!

I decide to get a closer look...

Even more fish...

They turn away, but are never afraid of us...

We do a safety stop, below is our DM...

For more a slideshow of more dive pics Click Here

Wednesday July 19th, 2006

Later that day, I met up with the rest of the kayak4fish crew, and we play some LCR dice game...

Weds Morning, watched the sunrise from the East over the ocean.

I rented a panga with two cool guys Neil, and Kentucky Mike, we go look for Rooster fish, but the wind conditions were not too good.

We all got blow in by the wind. I C&R another nice Pargo, and lost something on a plug that really peeled my #30 mono...

Thursday Morning July 20th, 2006

We all woke up pretty excited to get the the spot. Alonzo was funny, and ready to put us on fish. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. I had the first hook up.

Fish at color

After I gaffed this thing, #30 lbs on the megabait...Jim yells there is a Marlin behind your kayak, I saw it finning. Perhaps forshadowing for events later.

Mike gets on a nice Amberjack

Neil reels in a YFT tuna, but has trouble at the gaff...

Neil's Fish...

At this point, Matt goes BENDO on a Marlin... well, you probably read his story... 8)

Friday July 21, 2006

The next day, Pat, Trish, and I got a cruiser... Trish with the biggest fish about 20 lbs...

I was skunked for the day, but ended up with a Dodo on the troll...

Most boats came back empty, we had the most flags, 8 tuna, and 2 dodo. We attributed our success to our fluoro carbon leaders, to which our deck hand scoffed at when he first saw them... :lol:

Later that day, Matt seared up some Tuna from the previous day, and we ate some sashimi... :D

ImageImage

Saturday July 22nd, 2006

We get another great sunrise...

Nicholas prepares to get on the panga with plenty of sun protection. :D

Get to the spot, Lots of snapper being caught, when Trish goes Bendo...

Unfortunately, I had water on the lens... Jim took some pics too, so hopefully there is a clear one for the wall of fame.

About an hour later... :P I put the gaff in her first "real" big fish on a kayak #25lb Yellowfin Tuna... Just after snapping pics, Trish was stung by a man of war, later she was knocked over when we landed on shore. Thus, Moyer came up with the "The Good-YFT, The Bad-Man of War, and The Ugly-Falling over" :lol:

Sunday July 23rd, 2006

Woke up to a lazy start, got on a kayak with the 8lb test, several hookups on the kroc, all spit, as fish jumped. Then BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Line peeled fast, but ended up snapping me off, just before spooling me. I paddled for about an hour to reach blue water. The crew on the kayaks reported BIG Roosters, while Mike, and Neil reported all you can catch YFT on a panga. I took this picture of one of the Portugese man of war floating in the water with my "waterproof" camera on the kayak ... They kind of look like a water bubble.

All in all a good trip, hot weather, but nice people. It was a pleasure to meet the Sammon's family, and fish with such consummate anglers that were on this trip. Hope to do it again, but next time I got a Marlin in my sights!

For more trip pictures, Click Here

Chris :D
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Awsome pictures Jim. Abso-freakin'_lutely. Thanks for sharing, excuse me while I clean the drool off my keyboard.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great pics Jim. How do you revive billfish? I know how we do it with Tarpon but they don't have 3 feet of spear at the buisness end of things.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Jim Sammons LJKF

DaveR wrote:Great pics Jim. How do you revive billfish? I know how we do it with Tarpon but they don't have 3 feet of spear at the buisness end of things.
Because we have a support boat with us it is pretty easy. I toss a bow line to the boat and have them tow me while I hold the bill of the fish. They revive pretty fast that way.
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
bluebill

Punta Colorado

Post by bluebill »

Jim,

I want to commend you on a fine Baja report. I visited the Los Cabos area for two weeks in May 2005 and really enjoyed it. Only fished from shore as we had no other friends there and I di not want to leave my wife stranded on shore. I enjoyed the snorkeling at some small beaches along the southern corridor and caught some shoreline fish using a spin rod and lures.

I am presently in Florida and will probably retire here and visit family in Oregon and Montana in the summers. But I still dream of Baja. Florida is so flat compared to Baja with its desert hills coming right down to the sea.

I would eventually like to try kayaking in the Gulf here ( near Ft. Myers) and in the open Atlantic on the east coast of Florida.

I think you Pacific coast kayakers are ahead of us in open water kayak fihsing for larger fish. Except for tarpon.

My dumb question for you is - how do you safely enter your kayak after throwing it overboard from the Panga? Looks like you all are using sit-on-top boats and I am about to trade my three sit-ins for a sit-on-top.

Bluebill
Pine Island, Florida
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Jim Sammons LJKF

Re: Punta Colorado

bluebill wrote:Jim,

My dumb question for you is - how do you safely enter your kayak after throwing it overboard from the Panga? Looks like you all are using sit-on-top boats and I am about to trade my three sit-ins for a sit-on-top.

Bluebill
Pine Island, Florida
Glad you liked the report, I am headed back down there on the 15th, still room if anyone is interested.
Very easy to get on the kayak from the panga. You just step on it and sit down. Getting back on the panga is more of a trick when you have a case of kayak ass and dead legs. :wink:
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
ECKF - YAKMAN

WOW - FishON

Post by ECKF - YAKMAN »

doesn't get much better than that

all those pictures are awesome, wish I was there

you guys and gals rocked

do you mind if we post up some pictures on our site????

congrats, I am seriously jealous. i wish I was there :lol:
Al Stillman AKA "YAKMAN"
ECKF Team Member - North East Team Leader
Wilderness Systems Pro Angler Team
AT Paddle - Angler Team

"Dedicated to becoming the fuel that connects us all"
Jim Sammons LJKF

Re: WOW - FishON

East Coast Kayak Fishing wrote:do you mind if we post up some pictures on our site????

congrats, I am seriously jealous. i wish I was there :lol:
Fine with me as long as photo credit is given.
Jim Sammons
La Jolla Kayak Fishing
www.Kayak4Fish.com
ECKF - YAKMAN

did you bring the boats or rent them

Post by ECKF - YAKMAN »

just wondering I would like to put a trip together for ECKF Team
Al Stillman AKA "YAKMAN"
ECKF Team Member - North East Team Leader
Wilderness Systems Pro Angler Team