7-31-06~Finally some sharks on the sand!

Flamingo to Big Bend
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

We have had a recent dry spell for sharks on the beach. With the red tide lingering in the area we had to drive out of the county to find some fish with teeth. We set up on the CROWDED (hundreds of people) beach and waited for the sun to go down and the crowd to disperse before paddling baits out. In between answering tons of questions try to be as polite as possible we rigged up. Baits were out and we were waiting at 8:45. Baits consisted of: bonita chunk, mackeral, mullet, meanwhile a rod tied to a chumbag tossed 20 feet into the surf was luring them in.

First bait to get hit was the 5# chunk of bonita on my 9/0. I quickly set into the fish and fought it for a good 15 minutes and brought this 7'3" Female Lemon Shark to the beach. Shark was tagged, revived and released...

Baits were put back out with a brief run on the 6/0 with mullet and a drop. A run on the 12/0 with 3/4 of a bonita and a break off. A NICE run on David's 9/0 that we thought for sure was a nice shark ended up being a 50-60# Ray (shark bait!). I got the final shark of the night with another 7+ ft. Female Lemon at 7'4" long...

It was nice to finally get some sharks on the sand after the month dry spell!
Last edited by cubs83 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Troublemaker!!

What type of tagging program is that?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

:lol:

The NMFS has an Apex Predator Tagging Program that we are starting. Our buddy Jeff who we shark fish regularly with has tagged 156 sharks over the past few years.

Hopefully with the data they can find out more about the growth and migration of sharks.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Shane, how far out are you placing those baits?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

Anywhere from 100 to 250 yards. The long bait got broke off so we think there is a parallel running reef along that beach.

The medium length bait (200 yards or so) has been the hot distance.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Good job on the toothies and nice photos there, Shane. :wink: :lol:

I had a day dream here in the office that I was fishing some remote flat with my legs hanging off the yak and one of those buggers came up and clamped onto my leg. :shock: Thanks...now my leg hurts.
- Jon
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

;)

There have been a LOT of sharks on the flats recently!
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: 7-31-06~Finally some sharks on the sand!

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

cubs83 wrote: In between answering tons of questions try to be as polite as possible we rigged up.
Isn't it about time you quit thinking like a fisherman and start thinking like a businessman? :D

Heck, pass out few cards to all these people with their questions? Tell them you only have time for a couple of questions and then tell them to check out your website which will be on the business card you hand them.

Of course, if you were guiding that night I understand completely that you had to pay attention to your already paying customer. :wink:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Mako

Post by Mako »

Good job on the toothies and nice photos there, Shane
Where's the photos? :cry: ...Deleted by management? :wink:

Funny when you catch big sharks right there on the beach where people swim....I wonder if they ever go back in the water :)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

A commercial guy I know had a 18ft Hammer last week. WOW!
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

FL Skibum...we will definitely have a pocket full of cards when these vacationers come up to us asking questions! They are "in the making".

Peter...according to a thread on the General forum pictures are frowned upon on this forum. Visit the whiffle ball bat live baiting stink potting (I don't have anything against them, but most do ;) )

People aren't usually swimming that late at night, but we sure do ruin a lot of people's vacations answering their questions...they don't swim for their remaining days on the beach. :lol:
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

Just got in from another night of shark fishing. Ended up soaking bonita, ray, mackeral, and mullet for 4 hours without a turn of the clicker! Weird!
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Funny, I didn't read anything about pictures being frowned upon. Must have missed it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Mako wrote: Where's the photos? :cry: ...Deleted by management? :wink:
They were not deleted by Management. Shane deleted them.
cubs83 wrote: Peter...according to a thread on the General forum pictures are frowned upon on this forum.
That is a ridiculous statement.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Well maybe it's just certain types of pictures DaveR, you know those dumb Macho type pictures, and ones with fish bleeding so much the water turns red, like these:

Of course as long as you're putting a tag in them its Okay!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

Great pictures, John. Care to share anymore please?

Sorry for the picture mix up. I read the "bite my tongue" thread at 3AM and thought it mentioned a few times on the negative connotations of pictures. Pictures are back up. Sorry Rik.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)