good news for srq bay...

Flamingo to Big Bend
Vlap

good news for srq bay...

Post by Vlap »

Headed out in the boat around 5 yesterday. After loading up with bait we looked for a spot where the wind wouldn't be such a pain. We found it and were happy to see bait getting busted here and there. I decided to stick with arties and tied on the mirrominnow while my friend tossed some live bait out.
I was pleased with my decision cause soon I had some hits. Turned out to be ladyfish but thats ok with me. A while later after toying with the ladies I threw to a disturbance in the water and was rewarded with an immediate hookup and a good fight. It fought like a red... down and dirty head in the weeds. As I was getting it boatside it threw the hooks (or so i thought) ok it sucks but no problem. I got to hear the drag scream and feel some serious pull.
For a lil while longer all I did was play with ladyfish until I cast at a pothole and once again was rewarded with an immediate hit. You should have seen the water erupt. Once again the drag lets out a loud scream for a few seconds and then a massive head (looked very snooky) comes out of the water and justs pulls away from me and my lure. My buddy is making fun of me for my inability to hook fish. Well upon closer inspection....

Both sets of trebles were straigtened out... No wonder I wasn't able to keep that snook on.

We have a lil more fun at this spot but finally decided that it was time to move on. We hit some dock lights without any luck so we head for the pass. Due to the effects of redtide we hadn't fished here in 2 years. Last summer there was nothing in the pass but death and since then its been an empty spot. We get there and work the bridge for a while with a couple hookups and spit hooks but with the current it was hard to keep a bait in position so we headed over to the beach along the pass.

I decided at this point to throw some pinfish. I hoist a pin right up close to the beach and immediately get the rewarding feeling of a smack... No hookup but at least there is life... Soon after the next cast I hookup and after a short fight I land a nice lil snook. The fish is quickly released and another pin is thrown to shore.. Once again I am rewarded with a hit and some drag being pulled... I have my buddy get the camera so I can have a photo to remember the fun. Its a fun lil fight with some nice runs and high jumps. I soon land this nice lil snook...

The rest of the night we catch some more snook of various sizes... bigger and smaller.. A few spit hooks on bigger fish and also a bunch more ladyfish thrown into the mix.

Once the tide started to come back in the bite died so we called it a night and came home.

All i can say is i am very happy to have had this night since it is strong evidence (in my mind) that the fish population is recovering from the red death last year. its not back to par but making a recovery...
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.

Post by Guest »

yesssssssssss
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

I love that lure... The hooks although on the weak side have never posed a problem for me. Did you replace them with the hooks shown?
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Mirror lure hooks stink :( I lost a Big Red on one once and been changing the hooks ever since. I may even start going to single or just stop useing them all together because the trbles are more trouble then they are worth.

I've been liking the new MR19 but it already has been damaged by constant lady fish action. the front hook screw is bent at the body. For what they cost you would think they would use better material.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

the hooks are original equip... i will replace them with a stronger hook... the lure looks incredible in the water so i will continue to use it..
tbray

hooks stink

Post by tbray »

I agree with MangroveMan- those hooks stink- after losing a number of fish due to bending hooks i have started changing out to stronger ones. It is a pain but worth it to me. I also agree treble hooks can be a pain - but two or even three treble hooks on one lure is just plain overkill!!! talk about an insurance nightmare!!!

I tend to take multiple hooks off and leave one treble hook on (unless it kills the action).

Peace
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Fishwhistler

Post by Fishwhistler »

Not trying to be a smarty pants here at all, but, try loosening your drag, just a lil bit more. Power pro and lures with trebles require the looser drag. I broke hooks, had hooks pulled and then I tried the looser drag and it seems to work.
Mirror lures are bad but them dadgum chug bug hooks and o rings are the pits.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

not a smarty pants at all... very good idea... in my opinion i had the drag very loose... but maybe i need to drop it just a lil more...