7/8 Report

Flamingo to Big Bend
Skeeter

7/8 Report

Post by Skeeter »

Its embarrassing when you have to have the SOTE boys come up here and find fish for you but thats the way it went today.
My neighbor Mark and I met Mr. R. on the water this AM expecting to be fishing in rain gear. There was a nasty looking storm off shore as we were putting in and more dark clouds coming up from the south.
As we were paddling out we saw three water spouts but they were a ways off so we continued on. It was pretty slow for the first couple of hours, then I got a call from Dave that he had just lost a red and there was a nice school of humps cruising the shore line.
I was just pulling into a cove that I had seen fish before so I kept casting. The second call I got, he let me hear his singing drag over the VHF.
I swallowed my pride and headed his way. When I got there he was working his fly rod and I could see the fish moving up and down the shore line. I stopped about 50 yards away and got out of the yak to rig my fly rod and saw that I am standing 10 feet from a school of about 30 snook. Most were 20 inchers but there were also a few logs mixed in with them.
I knew I would spook them if I grabbed a rod so I tried to get a picture of them and called Dave over to cast a fly to them. He laid a cast about 3 feet from my left knee and worked a fly through the school. I watched them part with smiles on their face, to make way for the funny looking bug.
A few more cast and they finally split up and moved off down the shore line.
We soon found the reds again mixed in with a large school of mullet. Mark caught one on a gold spoon that gave him a pretty good sleigh ride. It was a slot fish so he invited him home for dinner.

Dave with another.

And one for the table.
I finally caught an old blind one and so we all ended up catching a few reds and seeing some snuke. The sky was getting dark so we left the mullet schools and headed in.
A pretty good day considering what some of our flats have looked like
since the red tide.
Enjoyed it gentlemen.
Last edited by Skeeter on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Nice report and photos. Now I'm sorry that I didn't ignore the 5 a.m. radar and head out to "that spot!" I did, however, get to view a very nice waterspout off of AMI around 8:15 am.

DaveR - nice job on coordinating your new kayak to your truck. I think I saw the glow from both here on AMI this morning.

I'm heading to "that spot" tomorrow morning. :D
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

It should be good Terry.
:wink:
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

"That Spot" should be DBM....Rik can you pls delete the photos. :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I got to see Dave there yesterday but Skeeter paddled way around me to avoid a long winded conversation.

NoTime (Bob) and I were out there as well.

We didn't get as far back in there as the other because I had a yak that leaks a little bit and I had some storm concerns. Tucked behind an island, I did catch my biggest trout of the year. 27 inches.

We anchored up a school of large greenbacks and picked off some trout from the edges of that bait school for a while.

A small redfish and a jack were the other fish caught on jigs.

NoTime really liked that P13 I had him in, and so he worked out a deal to get Daver's from him.

Nice to see you Dave. Just kidding Gary, I know you didn't know that was me...or did you... :shock: hmmm :lol:
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
rev

Post by rev »

Nice day there guys.
no time

It's true

Post by no time »

I had a great time Neil. Daver it was great meeting you as well. I met Dave today to p/u my yak and I can't wait to take it out. Hope to see you guys out on the water soon. Have a good week. Bob :D
tbray

delete those pics!!!

Post by tbray »

Anyone who has fished there knows exactly where you are!!! Can we superimpose the space shuttle on the launch pad into those pics at least to throw off the scent - make em think its east coast or something :wink:
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Not really a secret, Cow Creek a well known spot.
:wink:
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I thought that was the East Coast :?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Don't let Skeeter sidetrack yoose guys. I used the same launch. It was 4th Street
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I obviously wasn't trying to hide where we were, just didn't see a need to mention it by name. Its a well known spot that we all have fished and I'm glad to see a few fish coming back in there.
I sure wish that pic of Dave's fly going through that school of snook had came out better. Would have been a great shot if one had blown up on it.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Your were taking pictures of Dave's fly? I guess you were at 4th Street!
Please, call me Kate
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Unfortunately, I didn't have a pair of tweezers and a zoom lens.
:P
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Yeah he's Billy Bad Ass while he's running to the Glades for the weekend. I won't forget!
the water was cold anyway
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

There was SHRINKAGE!!!!!! :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton