4th Street Report 07/04/06 (Sorry no Pics

Flamingo to Big Bend
MrSpectaculous

4th Street Report 07/04/06 (Sorry no Pics

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Hit the water before 7am on the 4th (Also my 3 year wedding anniversary) with Chris G. and his neighbor. Chris and I both have been suffering from Skunkalotocuss lately and have been trying to break the trend. Chris brought his neighbor because he's new and the beginners luck might rub off. Well his neighbor is the 1st to hook a fish :shock: and I think great now another guy to show me up as Chris always catches something because he throws those majic gulps :o A real ladies man if you know what I mean)...anyhow it turns out to be a catfish but it looked good with his rod bent over while he was fighting it. It even caused a mechanical falure which delayed his fishing a while. Chris was the next to hook up wuth a blue fish which he said was his 1st :lol: and it was also his 1st fish on the Gold spoon :lol: After that I started to get hook up with the trout after drifting further out into the grass flat. All were dinks but I did catch them on a variety of lures which is good as I like the learning process and i'm still trying to learn what works and when. We probably would have caught more or bigger fish if we had covered more area and moved out to deeper water. I did see one big shark swim under my yak while releasing a trout but he was just passing thru and caused no drama for me or the trout.

I got to see Chris fall out of his boat (Sorry Chris) but I have to say he did land on his feet avoiding total saturation. :shock:

We saw a wader who according to the new guy had a stringer of redfish or maybe it was just fish and one red. It didn't dawn on me till I gotto the put in that the limit on reds was 1 fish (according to my law stick) and I was already close to the put in and did not feel like paddling out and educating the guy so he caught a break. We were off the water by 11am.

My health has been good lately and i'm greatful to GOD that i'm able to fish a little more.....We all will have that last time out and I want to get in as many trips as possible before then.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

MM - those trout have become my skunk-busters. Glad to hear that you are continuing to NOT get skunked.

Too bad you didn't get a better look at the fish on the stringer to see if you needed to report this guy.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Terry, I'm hunting for some monster trout like you see on the Texas Kayaker forum. I've caught 1 30" trout here in St. Pete in all the time i've been fishing here. Back in Pensacola they were alot more common.

The dinks just don't do it for me. In fact I find them to be a nusance.

As I learn more about fishing i'm gonna figure out where and when to target them. Maybe I need to fish more with some experts?
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

MM - we could all, each of us on this forum, learn more by fishing with the "experts"

I never ever, ever have enjoyed catching sea trout until recently. Now it is a "get the skunk off" thing. But I am also trying to get larger trout. I did manage to catch a 26 incher at the BACK paddle-in at Fort D. That got me interested in catching the gator trout.

Trout be the darn heck out of catfish.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Low light, shallow water, grass and sand, decent current flow and ultimate stealth and patience. Those are the key ingredients to finding bigger Trout. Noise is your greatest enemy. They spook very easy.

Best places I know for big Trout, Miguel bay, St. Joseph's sound, Anclote key flats and Fort Desoto before it was decimated.

Try large topwaters, lures big enough to keep smaller trout away. Work them with lots of pauses.
Sub-surface try Catch 2000 or something similar. I prefer mullet imitating lures, those bigger trout eat a lot more fish than shrimp.

If you're catching smaller trout move, big trout rarely hang out with small trout.

Be patient and persistent, it takes a lot of dedication to repeatedly work a large lure for a sustained time. You're not going to get lots of big trout in a session , they mostly hang out in small groups or two or three fish and often just solo.

Hope that helps out a little.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

Yes I fell, I mean jumped off... I was hot and needed to cool off...The guy wading (up to his chest) with the stringer and a bait bucket was with a boat that was 20 yards from him with 4 others on it. Not smart considering the sharks we know are out there...I guess I did kinda kill the skunk. I had more fun yesterday than monday evening out there, the wind was howling, big waves, me and MM crashing. I am considering going back on friday early am or even up to 2xbranch if anyone is free and able...
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Chris.G wrote:Yes I fell, I mean jumped off... I was hot and needed to cool off...The guy wading (up to his chest) with the stringer and a bait bucket was with a boat that was 20 yards from him with 4 others on it. Not smart considering the sharks we know are out there...I guess I did kinda kill the skunk. I had more fun yesterday than monday evening out there, the wind was howling, big waves, me and MM crashing. I am considering going back on friday early am or even up to 2xbranch if anyone is free and able...
You should get the Avatar then :shock:

I can't trust my disposable to get me to 2xbranch and back but I'm considering Coffee Pot my biggest trout has been there. Or even 4th street again, I know the fish are there and we ain't even touched the area yet. We just need more time to fish it thoroughly. It would be nice if we could catch the wind pushing out towards Tampa. The we could fish the flat without anchoring and cover alot more water.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow. I'd like to catch something worthy of posting...or a pic of me swimming next to my kayak..
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

MM. do not foreget the camera and take pictures,and good luck.
I am too old to die young.
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

Good times! reports with pics will surely be posted...
Giant- size