6 wt. in progress

islander

6 wt. in progress

Post by islander »

I forgot to order brushes, dammit. I don't know when this will be done. It's a Forecast 6wt. Pardon the photos, as this isnt my forte.

Dyed green box elder from inserts by les. No arbors. $%%$$ beautiful. Grip is a 6 3/4" cigar made for bamboo rods.

Butt wrap. This is actually purple thread. Kinda cool how it came out blue in the pic. Every time I breathe on the spiral wrap, it gets wiggly. Will burnish again before finish.

Guide wrap. Gold gudebrod with purple thread tips. Looks sloppy in this pic. It is, but not that bad! Used snake guides to keep the wraps consistent.

Not the best work, nor the most creative. But it is by far my favorite! Can't wait to fish this!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
noles

Post by noles »

Why bother with brushes, I get a better result using plastic (fake credit cards you get in the mail) and cutting to the width of the wrap. Glob the finish on the wrap and then use the card to shave some of it off. It's a cheap version of the spatula.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

noles wrote:Why bother with brushes, I get a better result using plastic (fake credit cards you get in the mail) and cutting to the width of the wrap. Glob the finish on the wrap and then use the card to shave some of it off. It's a cheap version of the spatula.
That's interesting...I'll have to give it a try on my 3rd rod......Yeah, I said 3rd, I just got #2 DONE!!!!! Unfortunatly there will be no pics anytime soon because I killed my camera!

Islander, so you did your spiral wraps right on top of your regular wraps?
When you wrap that much of the butt section how does that effect the rods action? It's looking good so-far. So are you using a 2, 3, or 4 pc blank?
How do you like the forcast blanks. The rod I just finished is on a lamiglass 2pc 8'0" 6wt. I'd like to do another 6wt. Did you use NPC thread or are you going to use CP?
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
islander

Post by islander »

First off, how is that lamiglass? I saw them on sale at Mudhole for dirt cheap! It's truly 'glass, correct? Big butt and loooong curves???? Kinda like Beyonce????

I don't know if the wrap will effect the action. It's going to be used for 20' casts, max, so I wasn't too concerned. Regular thread, not going to use color preserver. The spiral's just a length of thread tied in by the purple. Kinda like fly tying. Just a pain to keep it straight.

The Forecast isn't as nice as the Rainshadow. But it was cheap. The whole thing cost under $100. It looked like a nice flex when I spaced the guides. Once it's finished I'll let you know. 2 pc.

I too have to try the credit card. Thanks noles.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... Beyonce!!!!!!!!!!!
If I had a woman built like that I woudn't have time to build rods.
I'd be too busy changing diapers! lol
Anyway though...
I picked up the rootbeer colored 8' blank not the glass one that comes in gloss black. the rootbeer is 98% graphite and it actually a pretty nice and LIGHT blank. It is a 6wt and feels lighter than the Matrix 5wt blank. Very small butt, like Kate Moss. I think I paid 30-35 bucks for it almost 2 months ago, I can't recall. I held them side-by-side. It's a slightly faster action than the matrix also. Infact I would consider it a fast action blank not a med-fast but I'm no expert on the matter. I'm going to take it over to Orlando Outfitters and let one of the experts there tell me what they think of it. Their opinions have really been my guiding light. I'm also going to borrow a friends digital so I will have pics soon. I'm done with that one, then I've got an 8wt to do. After that one I think I will be ready to build a REAL fly rod! So is the rainshadow and the rainforest the same thing? Have you built with either or are you just going by common knowledge that the forcast is a lesser blank. By they way do you know if JP ross uses the rainforest blank on their mid range rod? Once again, nice spirals. Much better than when I tried to do spiral wraps!

p.s.
http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhac ... er=HBB8664
islander

Post by islander »

I used a rainshadow 4wt. on the last build. The finish is a bit better. Rainforest is made by Pac Bay. Shadow by Batson. www.batsonenterprises.com

Not sure on JP Ross. I've only seen ads in the back of magazines.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

islander wrote:I used a rainshadow 4wt. on the last build. The finish is a bit better. Rainforest is made by Pac Bay. Shadow by Batson. www.batsonenterprises.com

Not sure on JP Ross. I've only seen ads in the back of magazines.
rain this, rain that....it was just too easy to assume all that "rain" came from the same place! Thanks for clearing that up for me!