Getting ready to Backslide....

Out of 10 trips, how many are "skunky" with arti's only??

2 or less, I should have my own TV show.
60%
3-5, I guess I'm average.
25%
5-7, I'm thinking about a stripe tattoo on my back
6%
8 and up, I bit myself just to remember what it feels like.
8%

Total votes: 48

JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

Amen Brother Buc. You hit the nail on the head. Sometimes it takes time for the stray brethren to see the light.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

JSnooky wrote:Amen Brother Buc. You hit the nail on the head. Sometimes it takes time for the stray brethren to see the light.
Are we talking about the peote or life Dan :?: :shock: :lol:
Credo quia absurdum
ratherbefishin

skunk trip

Post by ratherbefishin »

Floated Friday at Ft.D. Took live shrimp, but they died before catching anything but catfish. Nothing else that day. Saw reds, tarpon but none wanted what I had.

Last week, went purist and got 3 reds, one slot, one lower and one over, all on artificials (DOA shrimp, first success with that bait). I saw some guys soaking shrimp and all they were getting were cats.

Sure do enjoy throwing the artificials and when you get one it sure feels good. It's fun looking for the right combo.

Was going to go Tuesday AM, but looks like Alberto will be visiting instead.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

I've decided to rebuild my tackle box.
I don't have ANY of the lures that were poste besides the D.O.A.'s.
Also, If the rain isn't a hindrance, I may attempt a VERY early trip on Weds or Thurs. On the water and toss topwater.
I've never been on the water B4 light, maybe that will be the ticket.
Lure junkie, I am.
I always seem to think along the lines of, "This one isn't working, lets tie this one on".
Maybe I've just been tossing unproductive lures?
I'm not a quitter, but seeing the response to the poll so far, I'm definitely behind the curve.
Keith
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
Rev. Tom

Post by Rev. Tom »

Buc-

You got me digging through my old books looking for Carlos Castaneda. Never tried it--is it anything like C.C. describes in The Teachings of Don Juan: ...?
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

You guys do need TV shows or either become guides. Most guides I know even using live bait get skunked once a week. Sometimes twicem, and they certainly know where and how to catch fish.....I voted 3-5 out of 10. And I consider it a skunk if I catch anything other than the redfish, trout or snook. I dont count ladyfish, jacks or other species like that. But out of my last 5 trips, I was skunked 4 times. Saw fish on two trips, caught on one, but the others were beach wading and I caught nothing.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
GetRwet

Post by GetRwet »

Maybe its what your using, and when your using it, & how its being used.

Topwater is good first morning and late evening and at night.
(overcast days too)

Getting on the water at or before sun up is a good start to a day no matter what.

White plastics work good in the early morning, go with gold the rest of the day. (there are lots of colors to use, these are the basics)

Crank baits(one of my favorites) Work good anytime, finding out how to work them for the bite is the key to catching.

Hope this helps...... good luck :)
Paddling....Nature.....Peace....................& Plugs!
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

I think I need to make an addendum.
Erick is on the same track as I am.
When I say "SKUNKED" I am talking abt skunked by fish that I am trying to catch (i.e. The inshore 3) not ladyfish, cats, jacks or awkwardly back-hooked mullet (great pic).
I always catch SOMETHING, well, 8 out of 10. :lol:
Hell, I caught a red on Thurs with Mouse-o-1 at DB,
but Randy made so much fun of it due to it's 12" size, I've blocked that catch from my memory.
Plus, I was using a GULP! shrimp, so I might as well been using livies, @ least they smell better!
I am still going to buy some new lures, the ones that have been mentioned. Maybe I've been on the jighead/softbait bandwagon to long??
Keith
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Eric, do 4" Bluefish count? If they do then Jeff did not get the skunk :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
catchusum

Post by catchusum »

DayFisher wrote: I've never been on the water B4 light, maybe that will be the ticket.
That magic first hour of daylight is when it happens for me in the yak, most of the time.
7/0/0
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Without a doubt before dawn is my favorite time to fish, second is dusk. These times of limited light give predators an advantage over their prey and they use it.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

My fishing trips always start early. Most of my fishing trips are 8 or more hours but the hours from dark till about 9 am are almost always my most productive. Being on the water when the light is just starting over the mangroves and the birds and fish start getting active, it is almost a spiritual event with me. What a great way to start a day.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Hell, I caught a red on Thurs with Mouse-o-1 at DB,
but Randy made so much fun of it due to it's 12" size, I've blocked that catch from my memory.

Memries, may be beautiful and yet
Whats too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So its the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...

It still beats a 36" sailcat anyday :lol: I caught one at Weedon about that size dead sticking that humongous Gulp thing you gave me Thursday :shock: Image my new goto bait :roll:
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

mauso1.... Where did you get that tinker-toy red? Shoot, I have some baits bigger then that!
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

mauso1.... Where did you get that tinker-toy red? Shoot, I have some baits bigger then that!
Careful there Phil..that's Dayfisher..
He'll get a complex if you start thinking he looks like me.... :lol:

Although I hear he's a fan of Kim Carnes :wink:

TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Randy,

I looked at those Gulp, but at that price I just figured I'd use dead fish - they smell better.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!