score!

islander

score!

Post by islander »

Noooo inserts thank you very much. This thing is sweet. Got it on the "second chance">
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

So the blank is exposed through the reelseat?
It kinda looks like the ones used by snowbee rods.
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

what color blank are you using ?
0 0 1
islander

Post by islander »

Blue.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

islander wrote:Blue.
Blue Forcast?
What ever you use I'm sure it will be nice!
I saw this one on ebay

Not as clean looking as yours. I think Gloomis has some of the nicest seats
Last edited by yohan1973 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

That's going to look really nice.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
islander

Post by islander »

Those seats are soooo cool! He had some other colors available a little wwhile back that looked even better.

Problem is: I need BLUE burl cork with !/8" i.d.. Ebay has none other than 7/8". Anybody know who has em????
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

I have 3 videos, 4 books, and hundreds of sheets of print outs from web sites on building fly rods...NOT one says anything about picking the right size reel seat for rod wt.! what's up with that?
In other words:
islander wrote: !/8" i.d.. Ebay has none other than 7/8".
IS french to me...
noles

Post by noles »

Islander - most curl cork are 1.25" OD x .25" ID. Mudhole has colored burl in red, green, blue and brown. Before you go with the burl check these out: http://www.lamarfishing.com/exoticburl.html. If you can't find the right size and I help you with that. I can turn the cork to any size you want with my new toy! Just give a shout.

yohan1973 - all fly reel seat will work on any size reel you put on it (regardless of rod wt). i believe there is a industry standard on the hood size and fly reel foot. what you have to consider is really the material (wood, aluminum, titanium), uplocking/down locking, etc.... However if you decide to use a graphite reel seat (Fuji) a size 16 will work for all fly reel. I have on one a 4 & 12 wt rod.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Man, you guys have me really excited about building rods. I can't wait untill My order comes in! I'm already thinking about my 2nd and 3rd custom rod and I've not even started my first yet! lol
Noles, those burled handles are NICE!
They would look beautiful on a matte black blank!
Forgive me for hijacking your conversation but do most of the "good" manufactures put their logo on their blanks when you buy them? I'd like a completly bare blank, void of any corporate identity. Building a custom rod with "Rainshadow", "TFO", or even "SAGE" on the side of it is kinda like buying canvas with a little area you can't paint over that says "Dosouti"!
I hate to admit it but that's one reason I picked the matrix blank over the forcast. Are you guys concerned about that or am I just being petty?

Noles, have you used those burled handles? If so I'd love to see a pic.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I have five that are now ready to dredge the corks out to fish the blanks, measure them out and wrap them.

I still havent' taken any pictures of the rods already made but I'll try to do that so I can show them to you (except for my very first rod I made: What a hack job! But it has held up fine and caught a lot of fish....it's just an atrocity to look at).
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
noles

Post by noles »

yohan,
from my experience most blanks fall into one of these category:
a. have their logo on the blank towards the butt section; which you'll never see once you get the grips on.
b. if there's not a logo on the blank, they supply a decal (sticker) that you can place on the rod if you want to. this is the case on all the blanks I build on (St. Croix, Rainshadow, Allstar, Forecast, Sevier).
c. lastly no stickers or stamped logo on the blank

FYI... Forecast actually comes bare with no decal or stamp logo.

I have those cork rings ordered and should be getting them any day now. I'm looking forward to turning those on my new toy (wood lathe). I post some picks when I get them done.
islander

Post by islander »

Ahhh... which rings?

If any of you guys come up with a way to turn a fighting butt, please let me know!
noles

Post by noles »

a dozen of each! picking up the package tomorrow at the post office. can't wait to see them.

fighting butt for flyrod? what do you have in mind?
islander

Post by islander »

Just a basic copano/rubberized cork butt. I'm going to turn it on a drill instead of the rod. I'm just not sure how to mount in on the "mandrel", yet.
noles

Post by noles »

I would definetely turn it on the drill instead of the rod. For the mandrel, go to Lowes or Homedepot and get a short all-thread rod (1/4 or so), 2 washer (1/2 the size of the cork ring), and 2 wing nuts. Put wax on the all thread, glue the rings, slide it on the all thread, put the nut/washer on each end, tighten and let it cure for a day. Don't tightenend it down too much or you deform the cork. Once cure, put the all thread in the drill and start sanding. Start coarse and go finer as you get to the final shape. Once finish, just ream out the cork.