Marine elctronics - Fish Finder, GPS, etc.

Which fish finder do you use?

Poll ended at Wed May 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Eagle
No votes
Garmin
33%
Humminbird
33%
Lowrance
No votes
Other
33%

Total votes: 9

FishingLady

Marine elctronics - Fish Finder, GPS, etc.

Post by FishingLady »

Hello all,

I have a Hobie Outback SUV kayak (pedal and paddle). I'm trying to discern which Fish Finder and/or Fish Finder / GPS combo would be best for me.

I have looked at Garmin (GPSMAP 498C Sounder) and Humminbird (Piranha MAX 20 and 30) or from expensive to cheaper.

I fish mostly Fort DeSoto (Canoe Trail area) , Weedon Island, HoneyMoon Island, and Bellair Causeway. But, I can see fishing in other areas but these 4 places seem the safest for a beginner kayaker.

Your input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

FishingLady
"Pat or Patty," Patricia D. McClendon
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mcclendon/Florida/kayak-fishing.html
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You did not give the option of none. You will not find very many folks around here that have a fish finder rigged on their yaks. Most of my fishing from the yak is shallow enough I just look over the side or use my stake out pole to find out how deep it is.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Like most of the others here I do not use a depth/fish finder..however a GPS unit is a very handy accessory..

You can learn more about the Garmin GPS products at the next B.A. C,K meeting at Bill jacksons on the 18th.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I chose OTHER. If I'm in deep water, I'll sometimes deploy my stake out pole (4' below the hull) and drift. Once the pole finds some real estate, I know I'm on a ledge and will work it accordingly. Granted, I don't catch much, but the theory is solid. :)
Rik

Post by Rik »

I use a Johnson Silver Minnow for my fish finder.....

I have resisted the GPS for some time now. As soon as I find a reason to use it as a tool instead of a neat toy, I'll probably buy one. I know, a lot of folks have them and wouldn't leave home without it but they don't catch any more fish then me nor do they get lost any less then me.

The speed and distance measurements might be nice to have on a long trip but how often do any of us go out and paddle 10+ miles from point A to point B?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

None, 99.999% of the places I fish it would be a waste. It's rare that I'm in more than 6 feet of water, generally only 2'-4' if I'm fishing.

The TX boys seem to use them more than people in our neck of the woods.

Polarized sunglasses are a must though.

Edit - The GPS is pretty handy. It's no better than a compass for getting out of the mangroves. When coming back across a mile or so of open water to a shore with few landmarks it makes getting back to the launch site a lot faster.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
LHolman

Post by LHolman »

Do not use a fish finder and I just use a compas instead of a GPS.

Larry
GetRwet

Post by GetRwet »

I have been yak fishing for over 10 yrs and never came close to needing a Fish Finder. Had one on my stinkpot, was great tool, not needed on the yak in shallows. IMO having a FF on a yak would be a waste of money/time/space.

A GPS on the other hand, have one, love it.......

GPS's can do a lot for a Yaker of sorts. Functions depend on $$, but for 200-300$ you can get pretty much all you need. I use it mostly to mark holes/drop-offs ect. in the flats and so on. That way I can paddle straight to them without wasting time or energy. Also, good for exploring new areas, you can't get lost, or lose your way as long as you waypoint your launch & set it to track your route. That way you can reverse route and follow a bread crumb trail back. Acurate to 20ft, so if your in the mangroves for instance and you have split paths it will tell you exactly which one to take.

As for using that function. I never get lost :roll:
Paddling....Nature.....Peace....................& Plugs!