Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful Test

Sledford

Re: Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful T

Post by Sledford »

Good post. I like the D cell bulge pump idea. If you are with a buddy You can turn the swampped Ultimate upside down and lift the bow over the bow of your buddys kayak. Continue sliding it across the side until it is out of the water balanced on your buddys kayak. Flip it over and slide it back off the side. It is not as easy as it sounds be it is easier than pulling a swamped kayak.
Sam
Rik

Native Ultimate 14.5 Deep Water Reentry - A Successful Test

Post by Rik »

Interesting idea Sam. That could work. Takes a lot of composure in deep water but sounds doable.

Steve, let's try it next time we're out there. You swamp and I'll be the dry boat.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I am game. Once the water is out you still have the problem of getting back in. We will have to see what works best.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

After you get the kayak back in the water put the kayaks side by side. The person in the kayak will stabilize the kayak by leaning across locking to 2 kayaks together while the you get back in. It is not easy but it works.
Sam
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I have both bow and stern skirts under the bow is my cooler which would provide some flotation under the rear I carry a 5 gal bucket with lid on it. These will both provide some flotation and the empty bucket take out after some bailing with lid removed and be filled with water placed on the bottom and perhaps make it possible in somewhat shallow water to step in. Hope I never have to but I'm of the school of be prepared
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

UltimateBob I suggest that you try it in a safe environment. I have to tell you I learned a great deal in my little pool test. I plan to try it again in a little more real world situation. I am sure that anything that takes up volume and displaces water is a help. The stern skirt will prevent you from doing the maneuver where you push the stern down to empty out some of the water. The spray skirt is easy to remove and once the water is out will be a huge help keeping water from getting back in.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Great post, and the reason I never took my native offshore, Tarpon fishing is really pushing the envelope when it comes to safety, I practiced deep water entry on my sit on tops, and it was very doable, in a native I knew it was beyond my capabilities. Know you limits!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton