Gramps' Redfish 140

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
linesider75

Post by linesider75 »

ok, thanks. I will figure something out. I had an idea of how i was gonna put it on there anyway, just curious about yours. Thanks again for the info, great looking ride! Can't wait to get mine done. Take care.
The grass may be greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it.....

-Tom S
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

Linesider, it is easy to do. In that picture, where the loon sticker is just screw in two pad eyes and one j hook into a triangle patter (with the j hook above the pad eyes. Take a piece of shock cord and run it through the pad eyes then secure both ends with knots. Voila.
linesider75

Post by linesider75 »

Thanks srsfsu, that's what I did with my last boat, I was considering using the terminal ends for the shock chord instead of the pad eyes this time in an effort to keep it a little cleaner. ever used the terminal ends before?? specifically, do you know if the chord ever pulled free?? also what i used last time that seemed to work well was the button in place of the j-hook, any thoughts on that??
The grass may be greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it.....

-Tom S
Kayaker Guy

Post by Kayaker Guy »

Gramps, nice looking rig. I just bought a Tarpon 120 and I'm surprised how similar our two kayaks look! I am just starting to rig mine, and you have a lot of nice touches, like the scupper plugs secured to the cockpit.

I wonder if you have available a closeup of your behind-the-seat flush mounts with rod holders installed? I am thinking something similar will work for me.

Thanks! 8)
Retired USNR and FedEx
Former Sub Hunter P3 TACCO
Tarpon 120, Old Town Voyager
Crossroads Cruiser 30SK fifthwheel
Yamaha Venture, Suzuki V-Strom
chuckst1

Post by chuckst1 »

Scott

Looks great! and reel simple. :wink: 8)
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

linesider75 wrote:Great, looks good, thanks. I was hoping you would include a photo. Looks like you backed out the factory screws there in order to secure the shock chord??
Tom, I did mine in a similar way, but I did not back out the screws. Instead, I looped the 2 free ends of the shock cord around the handle straps on either side of the plastic grip and cinched it tight with a small zip tie. I think it will work very well.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Scotty thanks for posting that! I never even thought of doing it so simply. Looks like I will be adding that for my stake out pole!
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Gramps....you have a nice ride! Thanks for posting pics. Its nice to get ideas from others. I just got my Redfish bare--now I have to rig it up. I will post pics once I get it going.

I may put a holder on each side for the stakeout as well.
-Scotty-
Rik

Post by Rik »

Scotty,

The zip ties will only hold that bungee for so long, especially if you didn't put a knot in the end of the tag end. The inner rubber starts to separate from the cover and then the zips are useless.

If this bungee is to be used to hold your paddle, you want it to be a 'never fail' system.

If you go to West Marine, or something similar, you can get stainless crimp rings for about 25 cents each that will hold forever.

scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Thanks Rik--makes sense.
-Scotty-
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Don't use this scupper mounted kayak cart on the redfish. The plastic in that makes up scupper has the thickness of a milk carton.

Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

I pretty much have stopped using scupper carts at all. The last thing I want to do is put undue pressure on my scupper.

Okay, not the last thing.