Rudder

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Rudder

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

In my earlier years, I installed garage doors, worked on electromechanical equipment, overhauled a small handful of car motors and in general, I've done pretty much everything around my house myself to include reroofing the old one I lived in.

So ... WHY am I worried about drilling a few holes in a plastic boat!!??? :shock: :? :shock:

Well, I'm not afraid anymore. To try and get my wife interested in kayaking, I am going to install a rudder on the T-120 I bought from Sharon a couple years back. Plus the rudder will help when I take people fishing with me.

Let it be known that FL_SKIBUM ain't afraid no more.

(Actually, the only reason I'm doing this is the guy at Canoe Country that does these left just yesterday for somewhere out west ... Brian at Canoe Escape is slammed ... and Mad Paddlers no longer handles WS products. :? )

Gil 8)

p.s. I think it was Mad Paddlers who said they're putting shop up here in Land O' Lakes in conjunction with Land O' Lakes Marine I think he said. Don't hold me to this as I didn't listen real close to him once he said he couldn't put my rudder on for me.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

It is not hard to do. I have installed a lot of them at Bill Jackson's. Don't start drinking until after you drill the holes :) . PM me know if you have any questions. I will try to help you out.
Sam
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

the guy at Canoe Country that does these left just yesterday for somewhere out west ...
Man..he ought to teach one or two of the other guys to do rigging...He does a good job though when he's there..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

mauso1 wrote: He does a good job though when he's there.
Yep, even though I'm in Land O' Lakes he's the first one I called. He did my T-140.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Mako

Post by Mako »

His name is Mike, and indeed he does a great job at rigging kayaks for fishing :D

I also live in Land O Lakes, and I always make the trip down to Canoe Country Outfitters for all my kayaking needs. I have bought 3 rigged kayaks from them already (Heritage Featherlite, T120 and recently a T140)

Even though I know they read some of our posts every now and then, I'll let them know your concerns on my next visit.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Mako wrote: Even though I know they read some of our posts every now and then, I'll let them know your concerns on my next visit.
Mako,

I actually stopped in Canoe Country Outfitters today and picked up a WS rudder. Ran into CookNFish and his brother "John" I think he said :?

Late this afternoon I installed the rudder.

Not sure I like this rudder as much as the one on my T-140. I guess this is the "newer" version. It has nylon straps hooked to the foot pegs and that's how the leg length is adjusted. It just looks like to me that the piece the footpegs slide on will always need some grease/silicone, etc.

I guess it's OK. I'll have to try it before I say I don't like it. Has anyone experienced both models .... pros/cons?

I still have to put pins in where the cables hook to the rudder. The pins they gave me are too big and it didn't look like there was ample room to drill the hole out according to the pin size they supplied without compromsing the rudder wing.

Good dang thing my wife helped me. I'd have never gotten my arm in the little hatch on that 120. "THANKS JAN!" Under 2 hours with a great helper. :wink:

Hey, thanks to all of you also for your support. :D And an early "Happy Father's Day" to me as this was my present. :D
GIL

Rik

Post by Rik »

FL_SKIBUM wrote:Not sure I like this rudder as much as the one on my T-140. I guess this is the "newer" version. It has nylon straps hooked to the foot pegs and that's how the leg length is adjusted. It just looks like to me that the piece the footpegs slide on will always need some grease/silicone, etc.

I guess it's OK. I'll have to try it before I say I don't like it. Has anyone experienced both models .... pros/cons?
I have the old style foot controls on my Tarpon 16 and the new style on my Tarpon 14. The old style is much, much better. The old style slides better, doesn't get noisy when a few bits of sand are in there and the track doesn't flex nearly as much.

Don't know who came up with the new design but they really missed. They should have just done a bit of improving to the old design instead of a complete redesign.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote: Don't know who came up with the new design but they really missed.
That was my thought just looking at it in the box and even after I finished the installation.

I really feel these footpegs are going to need some silicone spray every other outing or so. Sheeesh, one more thing to add to the milk crate. :roll:
GIL

Rik

Post by Rik »

Also, the little ring at the aft end of the track that guides the cable - keep an eye on it. Mine isn't stainless and I have rust stains on the kayak now.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Thanks, I'll definitely watch for that.
GIL