Ebay's fueling my addiction

islander

Ebay's fueling my addiction

Post by islander »

Just picked up another blank off ebay. Guides, hook keeper, winding check included, $36 with shipping.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

evil momma duck installed parental protection on my computer..I can't go to Ebay anymore :cry:
Seriously ..that is a heck of a deal 8) Was that from a store or private seller?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
yohan1973

Re: Ebay's fueling my addiction

Post by yohan1973 »

islander wrote:Just picked up another blank off ebay. Guides, hook keeper, winding check included, $36 with shipping.
Which blank was it?
Was it glass or graphite?
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
islander

Post by islander »

A store I believe. Cote's flyshop.

Just a forecast. But a money saver.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

my buddy I do the rodbuilding with, he bid on lots of cork rings and guides. We got high quality used guide sets to make over 50 rods if we want to for about $20.

The cork rings we glue together for grips. I can't remember what the deal was on those but it was a great situation.

I bought blanks off of a guy a couple of years ago that didn't want the ones he had and got a deal on them. I've made like 18 rods from those blanks and I still have about 8 or 9 left.

Ebay's definitely a place to find components.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
islander

Post by islander »

Did you make a lathe for shaping cork? If so, how and how much?
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

I went to mudhole over the weekend, NICE shop!
They've got all kinds of goodies! I picked up a book and a video to get me started. I think I may buy the parts n peices this upcomming weekend. I'll try to build a 5wt for around $60. I figure if I ruin it, at least it's only $60. Cheaper than a blind date with an ugly chick! lol
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I don't know if they do or not. I can tell you that I got some great cork reamers from Cabelas that go on a drill and you can dig out cork to fit the blank like it's a dream!

I do a little bit of hand sanding on the cork grips after I've glued the rings together. But a lathe to shape the grips, let me know if you find out....I haven't heard of one.
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

LivelyBaits wrote:I do a little bit of hand sanding on the cork grips after I've glued the rings together.
Have you tried any custom shapes, anything such as the "power hump" you see on some of those Bass Pro baitcaster grips....however shaped more so for fly rod?
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I've only been doing spinning rods. My grips are pretty standard although I do make my kayak rods with a grip that's about 5 inches shorter than normal rods.
islander

Post by islander »

This is flex coat's setup. Way to pricey for my needs...

How hard is it to hand shape a cork? I want to incorporate a burl ring on my next grip.... Can I seperate rings on an existing grip and replace it with another?