Rod building curiosity

yohan1973

Rod building curiosity

Post by yohan1973 »

So, is it difficult to break into this hobby?
Is the start-up equipment expensive?
Any online videos out there that you guys know about?
Like I said...just curious...
Well honestly it's more like envy but I will not openly admit it! :wink:
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

If your moderately handy with tools you can make most of the stuff you need. I started last year and made a sweet rod for myself. Can you shop around and probably buy a rod for less than you can make it, probably. Will you have the same satisfaction, hell no.!! Your first rod seems like you spent some money, but you have left over material so your next rod becomes cheaper to make.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I was lucky. When I expressed an interest my buddy who is well studies on rod building and a talented craftsman showed me the ropes and explained why you did things a certain way.

It's not necessarily a cheap hobby and it's time consuming. A good jig/wrapper is a few hundred bucks. Components are a significant expense as well. But what it comes down to is you can build it yourself and get some new satisfaction of fishing with a rod you designed to your own specifications and color preferences. I use a lot of black and gold in my underwraps and guide wraps. The handle wrappings are the most eyecatching in the final design.

I'll try to take some pictures of the rods I just made. Anyone who would like to see them, let me know.

NEIL
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Who are the major suppliers of blanks?
islander

Post by islander »

I'd like to see those pics, lively.

Gloomis, Sage, etc. offer all their models in blanks. There are other companies like Rainshadow that also sell blanks at super cheap prices. I've heard nothing but good things about some of these little companies. Haven't fished em yet, but that'll change soon.

I just got my motor this morning. Total cost of jig/dryer was $35.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

The cheapest supplier I have found is Hook & Hackle ( hookhack.com ). They are always running sales. As far as equipment, you don't really need much. I built a stand for four piece rods that was little more than two upright boards with 4 notches nailed to a base board. I had a fly tying bobbin for the thread and a book as a tensioner. I've built three rods on it. Here is the one I just finished for Prowler 13.

The kit cost $60 from Hook & Hackle, without glues, which I already had. They have some other kits for better rods, but a lot are on sale.

Other good suppliers are Customtackle.com and Mudhole.com. Betts Tackle in Largo also has good stuff.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

dunfly wrote:Here is the one I just finished for Prowler 13.
Man, that is truely IMPRESSIVE!
You've got some skill there!
I would love to someday start building my own rods, spinning and fly.
But for now, tie'n flies will do... I'll expand later...