Fishing for Snook on the Beach

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
blindcast

Fishing for Snook on the Beach

Post by blindcast »

I'm finally going to have the opportunity to fish walking down the beach looking for those summer soonk.

Any info you all would like to give up would be cool.

One question I have is tides - high, low, incoming, outgoing, as long as it's moving.

I've heard white bucktails are the lure. What else? What size? Color?

Time: Night, Sun-up, Sun-down?

I've read some articals about this but they weren't locals spots and just wanted to get some local info.

Thanks
Bill
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Tide is not so important as wind and time of day. Low light conditions dawn or dusk are preffered. But there are far more people on the beach at sunset then at sunrise. At sunrise the sun is at your back and you can look into the water much better then having to look back into the sun.

Also you want either no wind or wind blowing from the east. West wind gives on shore waves and it makes fishing nearlly impossible.

Finally lures white jigs are very good but there is nothing better then seeing a big top water plug get nailed! Cast parallel to the beach not more then ten feet out and retrieve.
Credo quia absurdum
Terrapin

Post by Terrapin »

I think SteveG knows a good spot.
"Cheap women, cheap wine, cheap money, cheap time these things do not exist..."
Rik

Post by Rik »

Nice try
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Why is "blindcast" asking for fishing advice? :? If I recall...isn't he the reigning OLC Champion? :D I've seen and heard of ALL those fish that he KNOWS how to catch. :lol: :wink:

An all white skitterwalker and a white Cptn Mike's spoon has worked well for me on the beach. But...I haven't snagged one yet this year. :(
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

I'm a fan of fly fishing from the beach at dawn. Small white Clousers, bend backs, Schminnow, etc. Not been out this year yet, but soon?
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Maybe there's a Blast and Cast trip for snipe and snook?? Because really, snook don't actually flop up on the beach do they?
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

Thanks!

The wind issue is something I've never heard before.

This is why I ask. It's something new I'm going to try and I know you guys would come through on some aspect of fishing for snook on the beach that I've never read or thought about.

I went out last night and was beat up a little by the waves.

Also, it just didn't seem right casting into a foot of water. Maybe it was the size of the waves that discouraged me to do so.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Also, it just didn't seem right casting into a foot of water
As opposed to casting in a foot of water when on the flats :?: :wink:
Credo quia absurdum
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

I was on the beach near my home last Saturday, braving the drizzle and looking for snook. Heres the beach:

Heres the bait:

heres the pup:

This was the only one I caught and it hit around 8:00 am with the bait just beyond the breaking waves. Strong little fish, did a tarpon like leap with a little tail walking and two or three strong runs. I brought it up into the shallows until a receeding wave left it high and dry, took the quick pic, and then with both hands cradling him, put him back in the deeper water. A couple of slow back and fourths and he took off with vigor slapping the water with his tail and sending a splach into my face. Some gratitude. The rather pale color is almost exactly the color of the sandy/crushed shell bottom, do they have a chameleon like ability?
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

It's tough for me to cast into a foot of water on the flats too. The closest I cast to foot deep water is the drop off next to the foot deep water.

I'm probably missing many opportunities.
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

If you do catch any on the beach, please do not do this: Image
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

I catch several fish each year that are glazed over on one side from lying in the sand. Hopefully they live long enough to drop a lot of eggs. :cry:
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

You'd think that they would stop laying in the sand then huh? Snook must not be as smart as I thought they were.