Looking for a place to start

rabs

Looking for a place to start

Post by rabs »

I haven't been to this forum for ages and now I find I need a couple of fishing rods that don't exist. I remember seeing a rod building section here a while back and thought I might start a new hobby here. I've discovered Mudhole.com and that's about it. I also see there hasn't been a ton of activity here but I'll learn what I can learn anywhere I can learn it. Any help?

-rabs-
-rabs-

(Greg from New Port Richey)
nemo327

Re: Looking for a place to start

Post by nemo327 »

Mudhole.com is the perfect rod building, repair site.
rabs

Post by rabs »

I checked out their diy videos. Doesn't look like rocket science. Think I'm gonna give it a try.
-rabs-

dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I'm a little late seeing your post. Mudhole is a great place to start. Check out their tutorials and forums. Depending on what you want to build, their MHX blanks are vary good and reasonably priced. Get Bit Outdoors is also located in Orlando and has good stuff, including Batson Rainshadow blanks. Don't be shy about calling them with any questions you have. I have always found them very helpful.

I have built a lot of rods on very low budget equipment. I have a inexpensive turning motor and stand and use a lot of the stuff I use tying flies. I hand wrap my guides on a wood stand I built using fly tying bobbins. You will need a drying motor to turn the rod while applying and curing the finish. Mudhole has an inexpensive CRB motor and stand for about $40.

I would recommend reading through the late Al Campbell's guide to rod building that is available free online at FAOL. It is a little dated but gives you a good basis to get started. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/g ... /index.php

There are also a lot of you tube videos our there that are useful. Mudhole has some good short videos on the webpage under resources.

http://www.mudhole.com/How-To-Build-A-Fishing-Rod
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
rabs

Post by rabs »

Well thanks for the info. I'm gonna look into it this summer. Got an idea or 2 to customize a rod or 2 to use in the kayak. Something with a short butt so it doesn't cut into my casting forearm.
-rabs-

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Take one of MudHoles classes.. I did and found it very interesting. They provide all the parts and materials to build a 6'6" spinning rod over a 1.5 day timeline. If you are interested its a good start to the hobby.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
rabs

Post by rabs »

I was going to buy when I added the cost of the hotel to the class fee it just got too rich for my blood.
-rabs-