Non-resident kayak transport options

the_tall_man

Non-resident kayak transport options

Post by the_tall_man »

I'm one of those horrible, traffic-congesting snowbirds :) however, my parents and siblings do live in sarasota full-time so i do have some roots.

Anyway. i have a PA12 here and I used to have a car (a scion xb) but sold it because it wasn't getting enough use. I figured I could rent cars cheaply enough.

WRONG! As it turns out, rental agencies don't allow cartop carrying, even on SUVs (they remove racks on any vehicles that have them standard).

The only other option I've found is U-Haul. Which isn't ideal. They rent pickups but it's geared towards short term use (like hours). Weekly, it's possible but definitely on the pricey side. When its all said and done, it'll be nearly $500. Right now, I've settled on that option for lack of anything better.

Buy I thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Tight lines,
Rory
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Non-resident kayak transport options

Post by krash »

Rent a wreck... buy the insurance and go for it.

Inexpensive options:
Malone Handi Rack, soft inflatable, and portable ( I had a set I'd loan ya but gave them to someone) less than a hundred bucks.

Soft SUP/Surfboard racks, soft, portable and they work I hauled more than 1 different kayak for 10 years on a set of these, cheap $30-$50 bucks on Ebay.

Both options can be stored in the trunk or back seat when not in use and used for years to come, Just for additional security use a bow and stern line if going farther than a block or two. You biggest issue will be getting that thing on the roof.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Cool, thanks for the ideas!
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Found a place in sarasota (practical car rental) that has pickups available for $230/wk. Way cheaper than U-Haul and you don't have to pay an exhorbitant fee to be a moving u-haul ad. :)
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Heck for a rental car just put a towel on the roof and tie it down. Use a ratchet strap across the middle and go. We used to tie our 10' jon boat to the roof of our old VW using the cushions and some rope. Now they have these foam shaped blocks that you can use to cradle the boat with and they work a lot better. Heck even pool noodles can be used.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve