beach fishing advice!

Flamingo to Big Bend
hector_750

beach fishing advice!

Post by hector_750 »

So I've been kayak fishing now for about 2yrs, been fishing around Ft. Desoto, cockroach bay, and a few other areas, ive been fishing both live and artificial for snook, reds, and trout. Anyway ive been wanting to do a little different type of fishing, so looking for some advice on fishing a little ways off the beach, how far out do you guys usually go, what type of bait, are you buying or catching your own bait, what fishing techniques are you using, what size tackle do you use, and what species can you expect to catch? Anyway sorry for all the question just want to get as much info as I can. Thanks in advance.
nemo327

Re: beach fishing advice!

Post by nemo327 »

When I walk the beach at Honeymoon island Tarpon are often seen rolling just offshore. They seem to be following the first sandbar on the Gulf side. Mullett, snook (in spawn Season) trout and flounder are common. I have also seen acres of ladyfish churning the surface. I have personally hooked large sharks on the same sandbar which seem to be about 100 yards off the beach. The swimmers would run screaming if they could see an aerial photo how close the sharks are to people. The media used to do this until the tourists started to stay away. The current is surprising you will drift pretty quickly, big baits will get very large bites. Jigging pompano jigs sometimes will get results. Minnow type lures will get mackerel, and most other predators. Wear your PFD the current and waves can be sporty.
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

During the Spring and Fall, I'll head off the beach for kingfish. They are usually close enough for yakers when the water temp drops to the mid 70s. Then in the Summer I'll head off for tarpon. Here's what I'll have on board:
1 light inshore rod (2500-3000) - rig it with a sabiki and a 1 oz weight. This is how you'll catch your bait fish. Throw what you get in your bait bucket. I use a battery operated one instead of the ones you drag next to you. You can also re-rig this for jigging pompano.
1 medium rod (4000) - I use this to sight cast if I see a school of bait fish. You never know what might be chasing those. I'll throw something shiny on like a silver spoon, or a 1 oz jig with soft plastic.
1 heavy rod (5000-6000) - for Kings I'll have 30 lb braid with 25 lb floro. and attach a stinger rig on the end. Set the drag light. For tarpon I'll have 50lb braid with 60lb floro. and a larger circle hook. For both I'll have a float about 5-6ft up. Toss that out and either anchor and wait, or troll nice and slowly up and down the beach.
I have a Native Slayer Propel, so my hands are free and I'll just peddle around. But I use to fish out of an Ocean Trident so I'd throw out a drift chute to slow my drift. As far as how far you have to go...I've seen tarpon roll within 50 feet from the beach...inside the swim buoys. So don't think you have to go out to far. Until you get comfortable, just paddle past the swim buoys and start fishing. Be ready to catch some sharks. They are a blast to catch. Pick up a marine radio for some more insurance.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Thank you guys, this gives me a starting point. I have a ride 115 but have a friend that i fish with that has a pair of Hobie PA's so we'll prob, be going out in those.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Didnt want to start a new thread, but anyways if anyone is xatching snook on the beach these days what bait or lure seems to be working? And tactics? A friend lives near shell key so might try fishing the beach there pretty soon prob early sunrise?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

No real current data.. but next week I'll be in LongBoat Key and walking the beaches early morning (sunrise) and the plan is the same as it always is.. throw a larger weedless jerk bait like a big DOA Cal or Exude RT Slug, perhaps with a small weighted hook or bullet weight, in a glow, white, pearl color maybe with some yellow in it.

Thats kind of my go-to beach bait for Snook.... the above is a personal opinion but it works for me.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

Chartreuse and white are my goto color for all fishing around Dunedin
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Thanks KRASH ! Thats the kinda advice im looking for, believe it or not that goes a long way. Again thank you!
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Thanks nemo! I have some DOA cal white w/ orange tail, need to get some charteuse.