Monday Night Snook Bite

Flamingo to Big Bend
CoonHound53

Monday Night Snook Bite

Post by CoonHound53 »

Another dock light tour through Sarasota Bay, started just before sunset. The tide was incoming till just after sunset, the skies were clear; and according to the interwebs it was not a good day for fishing. But being the “Snook Slayer” I am; I decided to challenge that forecast. Instead of working the oyster / grass flat like I usually do, I turned towards the mangrove islands to see if I can't find any line sliders laid up waiting for bait. I was fishing with a friend from Michigan named Steve, so I really wanted to put him on the fish. We worked a jig head with a stinky fingers bait (green) for a while, caught a few lady fish. Then we moved on to top water, the wind made the area a bit choppy so I didn't have much luck on the plug. Then I switched Steve to the Magic MirrOdine "C Eyes", and our luck turned. First cast Steve landed a 26" snook, and then the bite slowed down, there was a fair amount of boat traffic moving through. Once the green started to shine in the canals we moved on to the docks. Like always they were STACKED!! Fish were facing up river, allowing the water to naturally bring weak bait to their mouths. Each light was loud and busy, with the constant splooosHHHH! of the snook ambushing a helpless shrimp or bait frantically trying to escape the light. It took a little bit for Steve to figure it out, but within 10 mins he was making advanced cast at these docks and putting the bait where it needed to be. We had a handful of hook ups, and catches. The best of the night was a 24" pictured below and Steve had a blast. At the end of the night we were closing in on our last spot. Steve and I both cast our magic at the light and had a double hook up; granted they were both right around 20", but still a great night cap.

Quick question - Has anyone seen Tarpon yet in the SRQ area? And who goes Tarpon fishing from a kayak? I have done it many times on a boat, but this year I have a goal to land one on a kayak. Looking for someone to teach me a few things or even take me out. Let me know,

Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.
SPORTSFAN

Re: Monday Night Snook Bite

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Excellent read. I too have the goal of a Tarpon from a kayak. I have also been contemplating picking up a night light for the yak so I too can fish the docks. I haven't done that either. It has been said on this forum to fish with a buddy especially with Tarpon. I'm not so sure that the Tarpon doesn't have the advantage when fishing from a kayak. I would be interested in pairing up for either. JR
Rik

Post by Rik »

You will shortly being seeing pics of kayak caught tarpon.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Do Tell !!
Rik

Post by Rik »

They haven't been caught yet but it will happen within the next 15 days. There's a legacy to uphold.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

Rik:

Let me know when you go. I really want to join. Do you go out of SRQ?
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I recommend you read the attached link. Lots of good info there.
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/site2/b ... yak-style/
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve