Dolphins on Sarasota Bay

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Dolphins on Sarasota Bay

Post by Manning »

I went fishing on the west side of Sarasota Bay on Monday. It was a great day. There wasn't a breath of air moving so the water was like glass. In addition there was some fog at times that made it really beautiful out there. I managed to catch a dozen or so trout, but that wasn't the highlight of the day. I had several amazing encounters with dolphins while I was out there. All the dolphins seemed to just be slowly moving around and fishing. They were in no big hurry. First I encountered a single dolphin who I stayed with for about 10 minutes until he went out in the to deep bay. Not long after a group of 3 or 4 adult dolphins with 2 young ones with them came by. The little ones were doing what kids do. They were splashing around and having fun. The adults were just slowing fishing. I had my new GoPro 3+ mounted on my visor and I shot over 30 minutes of video of my time with the dolphins. That's the good news. The bad news is that the extreme fisheye lens makes the dolphins look much farther away than they really were. In addition I need a polarized lens for the camera to get rid of the glare. Here is a link to a 5 minute montage of some of the better parts of the video I shot. I admit that this is not too professional as I am just learning to use my simple editing tool. Hope you enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/f55S12LYdPI
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
nowake

Re: Dolphins on Sarasota Bay

Post by nowake »

Nice video and thanks for sharing
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Neat video. Wonder if they were waiting for you to catch a snack they could steal? :)
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I was catching trout while they were near me an they just ignored it.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve