Palm river / McKay bay

huntinfishin83

Palm river / McKay bay

Post by huntinfishin83 »

I would like to try fishing the mouth of palm river or McKay bay but I have know idea where I can launch from. Any input will be of help
John
Guv'ner

Re: Palm river / McKay bay

Post by John »

Good luck with finding a launch, I used to fish there many years ago, launched behind a gas station, but as always seems to be the case they closed it off.

You can launch off the 78th street bridge pilings, its not an easy one, but is doable if your kayak is light and not loaded down with too much gear.

Its a tough fishery, takes a lot of dialing in but its worth the effort, late summer is when it starts getting good right through until winter.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
rich

Post by rich »

I've never tried it but you may be able to put in at Desota Park that was where we loaded the shell bags into the Baywatch boats when we were building the oyster bars. I did see a small beach off to the east of the parking lot I parked in. I used to put in off of 50th street before they put the gas station in I seem to recall a small area up river on the side of Maydell also but I have never put in there. Years ago you could fish from shore right at the spillway but that was before Oreint rd jail got built up like it is today they may frown on it now. We would go behind that break dealer on hwy 60 and park in the back of the shop and fish off the shore when the water was spilling out off the bypass canal the tarpon would get thick at that spillway.
huntinfishin83

Post by huntinfishin83 »

thanks fellas I appreciate it.