Tarpon rig suggestions

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Tarpon rig suggestions

Post by fishshooter99 »

I am thinking of trying for tarpon this summer off the beach in the kayak. I've been reading a few old posts and am trying to decide on a rod/reel that will do the job with out braking the bank. I would love to stay under $300. After reading the importance of landing them as soon as possble I think I'd like to have a reel with 25 or more pounds of drag. I've been a pretty big fan of Stradics over the years but I'm not sure if that would be the best option ($ vs value). Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Tarpon rig suggestions

Post by jbdba01 »

I just upgraded to two Cabo 60's on an 8' extra fast / extra heavy Teramar with 50# test. It has 45# of drag. ZOINKS!! Ain't no way I'm going that hard.

Last year I was happy with the Cabo 50 on the same rod - max'ed out at 26# of drag.

I just happened to get a deal on the hardly used Cabo 60 rigs and just bought 2 of them to put the stones to them.

Prior to that I was using Baitrunner 4500B that did fine, but only had 15# of drag maxed. The 6500B is the same reel with more line. Note that you'll only be as strong as the weakest link in the system and you should count on 25-30% of the line/leader.

The 4500Bs did fine for Grouper, Cobia, and the 100# poon, and yes the occasional shark. +130# poon (which was not unusual) they worked, but I was afraid to really put the heat - it's rated for 15# max. So on 50# braid * .3 you get 15# of drag to set. I backed off about 7 clicks for the first run. Then as the battle progressed I added clicks.
I used the 4500B's with 9-10# of drag for my 30# braid (yes I measured it on a fishing scale and pulled using the rod).

Some people use 4X hooks - I use #5/0 Gamgatzu octopus circle hook. 5-6' leader 50# leader to a double braid (spider knot - kudos to Bill Heywood for that info - Bimini twist is a *itch).

BTW - 9-10# of drag will cut your hand pretty quickly - fair warning.

Read this, then read it again. I occasionally go out solo in a stink pot but would not go solo in a kayak. Most fun we had was when we doubled up in the stink pot with two anglers - total chaos. No one to drive, no one to throw anchor, just hang on...to racket it up we actually saw them coming on the HD side imaging sonar - "Reel in here they are." Bam...then Bam...way cool.

I think if you went with a Cabo 50 and a $120-130 rod - you'll be in the $330 range. My next choice would probably be a Saltist 5000. They are a bit pricier, but you ain't going Redfishing - for that I use Sabalos and wright Macgills (i.e. cheaper stuff).

Then there's fight them...best I can tell you is if you are resting it's resting. I can't keep them from gulping air, but I tried every trick I had - including shoving the rod way into the water. One thing I did find useful is keep them off balance - when it pulls left, pull right. When it stops, pull the line over the back and get them moving again. The more they move the quicker it's over. Hell I even "played the banjo on them" - anything to get them moving.

In the stink pot I'll rev up the engine in neutral - one hand on the rod, one on the reel, one on the throttle.

Oh yeah...if they don't jump, you're screwed. It'll be a grind.
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Tarpon rig suggestions

Post by DaveR »

I have a brand new never used Redbone if ya want it. Hundred buck rod yours for 75. Pm me if interested.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.