Stradic Ci4+ ???

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Stradic Ci4+ ???

Post by krash »

Does anyone have one of these reels yet ?

Whats your opinion (if you don;t have one don't reply with other suggestions) ?

Where'd you get it ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
vizzi

Re: Stradic Ci4+ ???

Post by vizzi »

I bought one a few weeks ago. Paired it up with a 7'6"ML St Croix Mojo rod and 10lb braided Power Pro. My opinion...it looks awesome!! My detailing business has not allowed the time to use it though. So, I can't give a performance opinion...unfortunately.
Jeremy
http://www.executivedetailllc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I have fished the 3000 Ci4 since last winter and purchased the the 'new' FA in 4000 two months ago.
I fish the 3000 with 10# braid, 20# leader on 7'6" Calico Jack rated 8# to 17#. This combo was bought for a total light weight package.
The current model FA I loaded with 15# braid and put it on another 7'6" Calico Jack but this rod is rated 10# to 20#. I have had much better control of 25" to 30" + Reds with the 10# - 20# outfit. No 'bigger' Snook so far on this setup but am certain it will bring a fish in quicker than the 8# - 17# setup.
The main difference between the Ci reels and the FI and FJ Stradics is weight. The handle 'knob' is smaller than what comes on the FI and FJ models but I have had no issues with that at all.
I purchased both setups from Discount Tackle in Bradenton. They have a very resonable 'discount' when you buy rod, reel and braid. Just ask for it.
If your thinking about getting the Ci4 I will say it is my favorite.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

MikeM wrote:I have fished the 3000 Ci4 since last winter and purchased the the 'new' FA in 4000 two months ago.
I fish the 3000 with 10# braid, 20# leader on 7'6" Calico Jack rated 8# to 17#. This combo was bought for a total light weight package.
The current model FA I loaded with 15# braid and put it on another 7'6" Calico Jack but this rod is rated 10# to 20#. I have had much better control of 25" to 30" + Reds with the 10# - 20# outfit. No 'bigger' Snook so far on this setup but am certain it will bring a fish in quicker than the 8# - 17# setup.
The main difference between the Ci reels and the FI and FJ Stradics is weight. The handle 'knob' is smaller than what comes on the FI and FJ models but I have had no issues with that at all.
I purchased both setups from Discount Tackle in Bradenton. They have a very resonable 'discount' when you buy rod, reel and braid. Just ask for it.
If your thinking about getting the Ci4 I will say it is my favorite.
M, thanks for the reply, sounds good. I have many Stradics and may be looking to upgrade, lighter is what I want.

Its funny though that you would pair a $200.00 reel, with $20.00 braid line, on a $69.00 rod (Not that there is anything wrong with the Calico Jack I have a couple as well as a few Redbones).
I used to get the Hurricane rods at Sports Authority, sometimes you could get them with $25.00 coupons for even less, but they have stopped carrying fishing tackle in our area.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

vizzi

Post by vizzi »

I recently bought a Ci4+ 4000 and paired it up on a 7'6" Mojo Inshore ML rod with 10lb Power Pro. I tried it out this past weekend for the first time. No complaints what-so-ever. I'm considering getting another one after the holidays.
Jeremy
http://www.executivedetailllc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Krash
I started using the Calico Jacks in 2011. 7', 8#-17#. ($49.95). I was attracted to the rod because of the light weight and small diameter of the handle where the reel attaches. My small, old hands really fit that rod quite well. At the time I bought the rod I put one of my 3000 FI Stradics on it. Liked the combo so bought another C-J and put my other 3000 FI on it.
I was very pleased with those set-ups but then the CI4 hit the market. The CI4 and C-J combo quickly became my goto setup.
Last year the 7'6" Calico Jack ($54.95) hit the market and first trip out I immediatly realized 6" made an amazing ease of casting and distance upgrade. I sold the two 7' C-J's and now have 2 - 7'6" 8#-17# C-J's and 1 - 7'6" 10#-20# (which has the New CI4+ on it).
I can only say that $ don't always relate to BEST features.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I agree Calico Jack & RedBone rods are well worth the $$ and hard to beat.
I think I have a couple with older Sahara's and/or Symetre reels, that are 6 to 8 years old.

Can any one splain whats the deal with the Ci4 reels ?
I see Ci4+ and also Ci4FA in different post, is there a difference or simply naming ?

I just yesterday picked up a Star Plasma 7' 8-17 (split grip) rod.... its waiting on a new Stradic

DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

krash wrote: Can any one splain whats the deal with the Ci4 reels ?
I see Ci4+ and also Ci4FA in different post, is there a difference or simply naming ?
Well.. there is the ci4

and then there is the ci4+

I have a ci4 3000, it's wicked light. I thought the round handle might be a problem but turns out I have no problem with it. Can't speak to the difference between the ci4 and the ci4+.

Here's some info from tacklewarehouse.com:
"Constructed with Shimano’s new CI4+ material, the Shimano Stradic CI4+ Spinning Reel delivers the ultimate in lightweight spinning reel performance. Designed for fishing lightweight fluorocarbon, braided and monofilament lines, it is perfect for a wide range of finesse applications.

The reel’s new CI4+ construction is the next generation of Shimano’s CI4 material - and 250% stronger. It is also over one-and-a-half times stronger than Shimano’s normal XT-7 graphite, and more than 20% lighter as well. And because CI4+ does not contain metal, it is impervious to rust, making the Stradic CI4+ a great choice for fishing in brackish and saltwater environments.

Its X-Ship Gearing increases cranking power by more than 20% as well, and also greatly extends gear life, while its new Magnumlite Rotor lightens up handle rotation for more precise handle control and optimum balance on retrieves. Whether you are drop shotting, fishing a shakey head or small Texas-rig, the Shimano Stadic CI4+ Spinning Reel has you covered."
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I have been fishing a Ci4 since last year. I have it loaded with PP slick 8 15lb and mounted on a TFO signature series 7 1/2' M/L rod. This has been an awesome combination for me. It will cast a mile and has a strong yet very smooth drag. I have two Stradic FJ's and one FI as well, but the CI4 has become my favorite reel to date. I can't compare it to the high dollar Stellas because I have never been able to convince myself to let go of that much cash.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia