Personal Best Snook

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Personal Best Snook

Post by Manning »

Since the wind was out of the west and tarpon fishing was screwed this morning I headed out to the west side of Sarasota Bay. On one recent trip to this location I saw what looked like a really big snook and Rik had mentioned that he had seen some big ones in this location also. So I left the house this morning with big snook on my mind. When I left the launch I paddled about a mile to an island where I has seen the snook. The plan was to work the edges of that mangrove island as early as possible. So for the first hour on the water I diligently worked all around that island...Nothing! I then moved out onto a flat, but there wasn't much happening there either. I managed just one little trout. Next I saw some fish and birds working at the edge of the flat by a deeper channel. It turned out to be a big school of lady fish. Better than nothing so I started throwing my Aqua Dream spoon at them and caught a couple.

A short time later a good size school of mullet started flowing in through the channel and up on the flat. Looked like a good place for reds to me so I started to work them with the green Aqua Dream spoon. On the second cast I got a big hookup. No...a really big hookup. Whatever it was went on a long line stripping run. A run like I have only experienced from a tarpon. I was starting to worry that it was going to spool me since I was using a reel that is low on line. Since it didn't jump and I had not yet seen it I really didn't know what was on the other end of the line. Once it stopped stripping line it was dragging me around pretty good and I was afraid it was going to drag me back to the mangrove island. I was able to hold the rod with one hand and stick in my stakeout pole with the other. From this point on it was just a good fight to get the fish back to the boat. All in all it was a pretty good fight with 10lb line and 30lb leader.

All I had to measure with was one of those 36" folding "laws" rulers and when I laid it down next to the snook I had 3 or 4 more inches of fish than I had ruler. Note in the picture below that the kayak is 30 inches wide.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Tide1on

Re: Personal Best Snook

Post by Tide1on »

Congratulations, beautiful fish!!!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nicee!!
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Flatz Komander

Post by Flatz Komander »

Very nice snook!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

Holy cow. That's a great snook. congratulations!
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

Sweeettt!!!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Yup. A biggun. Good on ya!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Manning wrote:Rik had mentioned that he had seen some big ones in this location also.
He once shared a really good Snook address with me and I too landed my personal best Linesider.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

About 28-29 right?

Very nice Steve.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

nice :cheers:
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

That is a real beauty there Steve.... :cheers: You will remember that girl for a long time :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great post, awesome fish.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

Funny, everyone I find who is lookin for Reds gets Snook, I want a Snook and I was getting Reds lol.

Also, those fish grippers, seeing those everywhere now. I picked up some and love them.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

godsmack481 wrote: Also, those fish grippers, seeing those everywhere now. I picked up some and love them.
That grip is 4 or 5 years old. The best $12 I ever spent. I have mine tethered to the kayak. I clip it on the fish and leave them in the water while I get my camera out.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

Well if they lasted that long so far then I feel I made a great investment. I don't wanna do too much touching when certain fish have that mucus membrane that is not good to remove from them. I'm all for preservation. And also for the toothy ones lol.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Very nice catch
Credo quia absurdum